You can find an incredibly rich set of resources here that includes articles, curriculum materials, videos, Blogs from industry experts, online discussion forums, Job Postings, Training Listings, the most detailed listing of outdoor adventure providers on the Web and more! Thanks for being a part of the Outdoor Ed Community
Outdoor Ed Store
Outdoor Ed Community
The Recreation Law Center
The Outdoor Ed Community is the online Social Networking site for outdoor professionals where you can interact colleagues and peers from around the world.
Outdoor Ed offers the best source for outdoor professionals to find careers and for employers to find great staff. We also host the largest online directory of companies and schools offering outdoor and experiential education programs and degrees. You can search for specific jobs, companies or schools.
From Wilderness First Aid courses to rock climbing certifications, this is your source for finding professional training.
The Outdoor Ed Community is where you can interact with other outdoor professionals.
Thanks to Ford Church for compiling this great list from the AEELIST.
1. Endurance - The Shackleton Antarctic Expedition documentary that
came out a year or so ago and won all kinds of awards.
2. Cast Away - With Tom Hanks. Great tropical island survival story.
3. Alive - Awesome survival story about a soccer team that survives
a plane crash in the Andes.
4. Apollo 13 - Good movie about problem solving, group dynamics, and
achieving the impossible.
5. Lord of the Flies - Leadership and group dynamics.
6. Whitewater Summer - With hottie Kevin Bacon. It is more of a "what
not to do," but it does allow interesting discussions of group dynamics,
risk management, socio-psychological safety, followership, and of course,
7. White Squall - Starring Jeff Bridges as the skipper of a sail training
ship. A romp through some of the ideas of outdoor education, risk management,
8. Never Cry Wolf - Sheer cinematic grandeur, implicit commentary it
makes on the wildness of Alaska, and the impact of social and cultural
clashes on the environment and wildlife.
9. Black Robe - Takes place
in the late 17th century and is the story of a Franciscan missionary
traveling through the eastern wilderness. It gets into survival, historical
treatments of Native Americans, ethical issues, etc.
10. The Mission
- Takes place in South America and gets into the similar issues with
indigenous populations, the role of the Church, survival, etc.
Deliverance - One of the greatest and scariest survival movies of
all time. Unfortunately, Ned Beatty squealing like a pig limits the kind
of groups you could use it with.
12. Waterwalker - By Bill Mason.
13. Flight of the Phoenix - the ultimate team initiative: build an airplane
to fly out of the desert. Great issues, inclusion, diversity.
14. The Man Who Planted Trees - Great animated short.
15. Paddle to the Sea - Another awesome short!
16. The Princess Bride - tons of one liners, memorize them all for an
excellent bonding experience!
17. Survivor the TV Show - It's not a movie, but the dynamics make for
some great discussions.
18. Fat of the Land - An independent film made in the mid-90s. Two girls
had an old van outfitted with a biodiesel engine and drove across the
country harvesting used fat from greasy spoons and fast food joints as
they went. The exhaust smells like french fries.
19. Simon Birch - One that I have shown to college students in our leadership
development program. More about baseball, boyhood, and religion than
outdoors but great regarding identity and direction in leadership.
20. Chariots of Fire
21. Remember the Titans
23. The Confession
24. The Mission
25. Cliffhanger - With Sylvester Stallone. Great to point out the technical
26. K2 - Another one to point out technical absurdities.
27. Vertical Limit - Yet another one to point out technical absurdities.
28. Nova - Avalanche!
29. A Life of My Choice
30. National Geographic Everest 50th Anniversary Ascent
31. National Geographic Ultimate Explorers - Himalayan Eye Institute
32. High: Stories of Survival From Everest & K2
33. Shackleton's Boat Journey
34. Wilderness First Aid video
35. Eric Valli's Himalaya video
36. Trailside Video Series
37. A Trek in Nepal
38. Avalanche Awareness
39. Avalanche Rescue
40. EVEREST CD-ROM & VIDEO: QUEST FOR THE SUMMIT OF DREAMS
41. EVEREST: AMERICANS ON EVEREST
42. EVEREST: BALLOONING OVER EVEREST
43. EVEREST: CONQUEST OF EVEREST
44. EVEREST: HILLARY AND TENZING
45. EVEREST: MOUNT EVEREST: AMERICAN FIRSTS
46. EVEREST: MOUNTAIN OF DREAMS, MOUNTAIN OF DOOM
47. EVEREST: MOUNTAIN WITHOUT MERCY (THE IMAX MOVIE!)
48. EVEREST: MYSTERY OF MALLORY & IRVINE
49. EVEREST: NORTH WALL
50. EVEREST: QUEST FOR THE SUMMIT OF DREAMS
51. EVEREST: RETURN TO EVEREST
52. EVEREST: TEMPTING FATE
53. EVEREST: TEN ON TOP
54. EVEREST: THE 1995 AMERICAN MT EVEREST EXPEDITION
55. EVEREST: THE CLIMB FOR HOPE
56. EVEREST: THE DEATH ZONE
57. EVEREST: THE FATAL GAME [THE FATAL CLIMB]
58. EVEREST: THE MAKING OF EVEREST: MOUNTAIN WITHOUT MERCY (IMAX!)
59. EVEREST: THE QUEST
60. EVEREST: THREE FLAGS OVER EVEREST
61. EVEREST: UNMASKED: THE FIRST ASCENT WITHOUT OXYGEN
62. EVEREST: WINDS OF EVEREST
63. EVEREST'S THIN AIR: THE 1991 NEW ENGLAND EVEREST EXPEDITION
64. EXPLORING ANTARCTICA
65. EXPLORING THE HIMALAYAS: NEPAL & KASHMIR
66. FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN: THE STORY OF THE 10TH MT
67. GLACIER CLIMBING
68. HEART OF TIBET: THE DALAI LAMA
69. HIMALAYA: KINGDOM OF THE SHERPA
70. INTO THE GREAT SOLITUDE
71. LAND OF MIST & FIRE: EXPLORING THE PATAGONIAN ICE CAP
72. LAND OF THE LLAMAS
73. SNOW CAVES: HOW TO KEEP WARM WITH ICE
74. STAY ALIVE: IN DESERT AREAS
75. STAY ALIVE: IN MOUNTAIN AREAS
76. People's Century: Endangered Planet - The Environmental Cost of
77. Spirit and Nature (1991) with Bill Moyers
78. Art of the Wild (1996)
79. National Geographic video's
80. WGBH / Nova video's
81. Blue Planet Seas of Life
82. Earth on Edge: Bill Moyers Reports
83. Nova - Fire Wars
84. In The Light of Reverence
85. The Sacred Balance
Connect & Share