Adventure Trip Leader
NY YMCA Camp
B.O.L.D & G.O.L.D - Adventure Trip Leader
The BOLD (Boys Outdoor Leadership Development) & GOLD (Girls Outdoor Leadership Development) Program is dedicated to inspiring leadership, courage, and community in diverse groups of adolescent girls and boys through outdoor adventures. We run four different sessions of adventure-based trips with one week on site and one week off site. During our trips we visit places like the Adirondacks, Poconos, Berkshires and Atlantic Ocean. Activities include backpacking, rock climbing, fishing, yoga, art, music, literature, and backcountry cooking. Our goal is to increase confidence, courage, emotional intelligence, wonder, and community awareness in participants. We believe these traits are the foundations of leadership and work to inspire participants to develop their own leadership style. We prepare young people, to be the next generation of leaders through multicultural experiential education in the natural world.
Under the supervision of the Adventure Coordinator, the Adventure Trip Leader is responsible for the administration and operation of safe and quality programs within the guidelines of the Health Department, ACA and New York YMCA Camp rules and policies. The Adventure Trip leader will oversee planning and executing programming within the New York YMCA Camp Boys Outdoor Leadership (BOLD) and Girls Outdoor Leadership (GOLD) program. Each trip will consist of 6 – 12 campers from a variety of background ranging from 14 – 16 years old. The person is responsible for onsite and offsite programming, sometimes in back country wilderness settings for up to four days throughout the North East. Activities include, hiking, backpacking, canoeing, kayaking rock climbing, ropes courses and more. The Adventure trip leader will also oversee maintaining gear and inventory.
- Co-Lead 6-12 campers through 4 sessions of 2-week trips, onsite prep/skills, and offsite overnight trips.
- Create a physically and emotionally safe environment for campers
- Facilitate meal planning and preparation offsite on trips
- Effectively teach outdoor skills
- Maintain itinerary to ensure participants are receiving a well-rounded experience.
- Assist with planning and leading activities while at camp and offsite
- Maintain communication with Adventure Coordinator while on trips.
- Be aware of safety, risk management, cleanliness and maintenance concerns and report them to the Adventure Coordinator as they arise.
- Minimum 21 years old by June 7th, 2019
- At least 1-year experience or education in the areas of camping, outdoor pursuits, or trip leading
- Clean Driving Record required
- Wilderness First Aid or higher certification valid through August 24th, 2019 (or ability to obtain by start of job)
- First Aid, CPR and AED certifications preferred (Will train)
- Lifeguard or Water Safety Instructor certification preferred (Will train)
- Ability to hike up to 8 miles per day on rugged terrain with a backpack
Please use our online link to apply: https://ymcanewyork.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App#ApplicationSeason
Inquiries can also be emailed to Carley Elkin, Adventure Coordinator: [email protected]