AmeriCorps Outdoor Educator Assistant
Love the outdoors? Have a sense of adventure? Enjoy working with youth?
Christodora: Nature, Learning, Leadership since 1897 is seeking AmeriCorps Outdoor Educator Assistants to join the team at the Manice Education Center located in the heart of the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts. This is a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers to enjoy a pristine wilderness playground, alongside music, arts, and festivities in nearby college towns.
The Manice Education Center operates several distinctly different seasonal programs focusing on highly engaging opportunities for junior and senior high school youth from New York City in environmental education, wilderness expeditions, and leadership training from May through October. The Center is located on a 200 acre forested campus, surrounded by thousands of acres in abutting Savoy Mountain State Forest, boasting mountain streams, rivers, ponds and diverse wildlife including moose!
Join our diverse team this summer!
Seasonal Summer Camp Backcountry Expedition Program: 6-11 to 8-26-18
MEC offers SOLO Wilderness First Aid and Red Cross CPR Certification Courses on 6-9 & 6-10
Free Training Opportunities!
- SOLO Wilderness First Aid, Red Cross CPR, Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding, a 2-day professional tandem canoeing skill clinic, trail maintenance skills training, project management training, and overnight backpacking and camping skills training..
- All educators receive hands-on training in the delivery of an experientially driven curriculum, challenge course training and facilitation, and ongoing professional development as an outdoor and environmental educator in a program using cutting edge techniques in youth development.
Great Service Learning Opportunity to:
- Lead urban youth in service projects to improve publicly used wilderness areas and trails.
- Facilitate challenge course activities designed to focus on teamwork, communication, leadership skills, trust, and social development.
- Inspire curiosity about our natural world through discovery-based activities in forested ecosystems. Use our testing equipment & interact with live exhibits in our science lab. Introduce gardening, composting and small-scale farming with live chickens.
- Learn and teach wilderness survival skills including primitive fire making, shelter building, and foraging for wild edibles.
- Lead nighttime hikes to see the stars and the magic of bioluminescence.
- Supervise 6-7 youth overnight in canvas, cabin style tents on platforms.
- Celebrate with skits, drumming, and s’mores at our campfire program—rain or shine in a gazebo surrounded by forest—that can seat the entire campus.
AmeriCorps Outdoor Educator Assistants in our Summer Programs help lead Wilderness Expeditions:
- 6 overnight wilderness expeditions backpacking and/or canoeing for 2-5 days in length with a focus on removing natural and unnatural debris along trails, river corridors, and pond environments.
- Hike on the Appalachian Trail, Long Trail, and Mahican-Mohawk Trail.
- Paddle a series of mountain ponds and rivers in Southern New England, including the Deerfield River, Connecticut River, and Battenkill River.
- Build your own Outdoor Leadership skills with our trainings and support as you complete our Outdoor Educator Skills Competencies.
- Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth.
- Willingness and ability to use hand tools and perform tasks associated with trail maintenance and community service opportunities.
- H.S. Diploma or G.E.D.
- Background clearances and medical physical required. Initial drug screening may be required.
- Experience in outdoor education & leadership training in a camp setting as a participant or currently in or hoping to enroll in college, seeking a degree in the outdoor recreation, ecology, biology, environmental studies, or other related discipline.
- Spanish/English Bilingual a plus.
Service Agreements Include:
- Weekly living stipend; lodging & basic amenities, excellent food service.
- Eligibility to earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of approx. $1538.
- Access to wilderness equipment, and outdoor equipment discounts.
- Enjoy living in a unique outdoor setting, and be a part of a 121-year-old tradition of developing a constructive, supportive community through hard work, play, and dedication to our mission.
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to include wilderness, leadership, and/or education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ [email protected]; or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse, educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AmeriCorps Outdoor Educator Assistants work as AmeriCorps Outdoor Education Residential Camp Assistant Counselors
Send cover letter & resume (feel free to add wilderness, leadership, and education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ [email protected]; or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references will be required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.