Backcountry Trailhead Shuttle Driver
Trailhead Shuttle Driver
Application Deadline: January 1, 2019 for positions starting February 24th, 2019
We are currently accepting applications for 2019 positions.
Drivers operate 14 passenger Ford E350 Vans, offering balance between client comfort, visibility, and enabling you to passenger transport on and off-road. Much of the driving we do is on bumpy dirt roads. Additionally, we have 4x4 Toyota Land Cruisers for transport during adverse weather conditions. Drivers need to be patient, and courteous. We seek individuals who are able trailhead drivers, active canyoneers AND hikers. Clients frequently ask clarifying questions about their trailheads, hikes, and canyoneering routes in Zion and knowledge of this information is essential. Shuttle drivers also receive some outfitter training to be able to handle reservations, refunds, and cash register sales.
- Age Requirements: Minimum of 23 years of age by February 24th (vehicle insurance requirement)
- Must have a current and valid drivers license
- Minimum Required Certifications: Current First Aid and CPR certification, or Wilderness First Responder; Taxi Endorsement for Driver’s License (requires a written test at DMV)
- Must acquire Utah Department of Transportation Med Card (requires physical with doctor who does UDOT Med Card Exams)
- Desired Skills & Experiences:
- ability to be engaging and polite
- desire to learn and share that knowledge with others
- Some familiarity with the area preferred but not required
- Season: Beginning March 2 and ending October 31
- Shuttle drivers work about 4-5 days a week running 1-2 shuttles per day. The work schedule depends on shuttle demands.
- Compensation: Starting pay is $13/hour.
- Some days drivers run one shuttle, logging a 3.5 hour work day and completing work around 9:30. Other days drivers run two shuttles, logging a 6.5 to 7 hour work day and completing work around 12:30PM
- Drivers are eligible for raises after competency is proven to all trailhead and canyon access.
- Year-Round Work: Trailhead Shuttle drop-offs are usually slower during the winter months yet past staff have found part-time work through seasonal projects
- Driving courteously
- Transporting clients as safely, comfortably and efficiently as possible
- Avoiding risks which could harm passengers, the vehicles, or the environment
- Running efficient shuttles without creating the hurried feeling
- Solving problems with grace and efficiency
- Helping connect clients with ZAC guided events, Narrows rentals, and other Zion activities
- Facilitating meaningful, helpful, informative, and pleasant conversations with customers
- Operating single run and back-to-back morning shuttles (6:15 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.) to Chamberlain’s Ranch upon “opening” of the Narrows. Opening is typically mid- to late May, but depends upon river flow and Park regulations.
- Destinations also include the Kolob Terrace and Kolob Canyons sections of the Park.
- Early arrivals at work. Drivers of 6:15 AM shuttles arrive ZAC by 6:00 AM, which makes for early mornings, and an early end to the work day. If you much of a commute, you will likely be getting out of bed by 5:00 AM
- Maintaining the shuttle vehicle for cleanliness, fueling, and informing Maintenance Coordinator of possible problems and needed repairs
- Being able to change flat tires on trips, possibly along unimproved roads
- Offering expertise on local recreation opportunities and logistics
- Building an impressive knowledge base of the roads, hikes, canyons, and hidden secrets of Zion National Park and the surrounding area on personal time
Part- and full-time job positions available with a minimum driver schedule of two days per week to qualify. Start dates begin February 24th and work thru the end of October or November.
- An astounding clientele, from all ages, places, and walks of life
- Opportunity to work outside both with people and by yourself
- Live within the towering walls of Zion National Park
- Pro-purchase opportunities from many outdoor equipment manufacturers
- Work with an incredible team connected individuals dedicated to a high quality of life for themselves and our guests. We want the same for you. Unlike some cubicle neighbors, we get to know each other. Our staff want each other to be great, to pursue excellence in all we do, to support each other, be supported and deliver a high level of performance every day.
- Free tuition for ZAC guided trips and courses in canyoneering, climbing, mountain biking, hiking, and road biking
- Free use of company rental gear for personal recreation days