Northwest Outward Bound School (NWOBS) seeks creative, motivated individuals who are enthusiastic about planning and preparing nutritious lunches and dinners for staff based out of Redmond, Oregon or Mazama, Washington. Basecamp Cooks plan, prepare, and order food for staff and students.
Basecamp Cooks are responsible for maintaining current food handlers permit, maintaining an organized and clean kitchen, maintain inventory by ordering and restock food as needed, attend to budgetary guidelines, accommodate special diets, and plan and create nutritious meals for 10 - 50 staff, and on occasion plan meals for events with 60+ attendees.
This is a seasonal position and we are seeking a committed staff for the Oregon Program March 12 - October 1, 2020. The Washington Program is seeking a committed staff beginning April 29 - September 25, 2020. Dates can be flexible for the right candidate.
The Basecamp Cook is paid per diem, 5 days/week, with typical hours from 8:30 am (Morning Meeting) to 6:30 pm, with a break in the middle of the day.
We have two basecamps: Odin Falls (Redmond, Oregon) and Mazama (Mazama, Washington). You may indicate a preference for working at either basecamp, both of which provide great access to the rugged yet beautiful mountains and waters of the Pacific Northwest.
Both of our basecamps are located next to rivers, climbing areas (ie: Smith Rock), and Cascade mountains and are full of outdoor-oriented staff. This position is great for someone who likes to spend time in the natural world and/or recreating outdoors.
Applications open November 1st. Interviews begin in December. Work offers announced January-February.
- 1-3 years of comparable experience including knowledge of cooking for large groups, food handling, kitchen and food sanitation, nutrition, and special diets.
- Experience working in a team setting with one or more colleagues.
- Ability to attain a Food Handler’s Permit before start date.
- 21 years or older.
* See job description for complete responsibilities and requirements.
Compensation and Benefits
- Starting rate is $75-105 / day commensurate with experience.
- Room and board provided for the duration of the seasonal contract. Rustic and comfortable private housing (cabin) is provided with close access to bathroom with shower, laundry, wireless internet, and kitchen. Food for personal use is provided.
About Northwest Outward Bound School
With over 50 years of innovation in experiential and outdoor education in the Pacific Northwest, Northwest Outward Bound School (NWOBS) continues to change lives through challenge and discovery. Our transformative and educational wilderness courses are set in some of the most dramatic and stunning parts of the United States. NWOBS was founded in 1965 and facilitates wilderness-based programs in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, and also serves urban youth and schools in the Portland metropolitan area. As an Outward Bound school, we are committed to the core values of compassion, integrity, excellence, equity, inclusion and diversity, and strive to achieve the following outcomes: building character, developing leadership skills, and creating an ethic of social and environmental responsibility.