Bear Grylls Teen Survival Camp Counselor
Interested in an exciting and unique adventure this summer? Come join us at the only Bear Grylls Survival Teen Camp in America. Frost Valley YMCA is located in the Catskill Mountains (2.5 hrs from NYC). Applicants should be 21 yrs of age, have summer camp & hiking experience, ropes knowledge, outdoor living skills/bush craft, and a desire to be a key player in the development of the teens in our program. We will train the chosen applicants on the BG methods of dynamic self rescue, ideology, and program delivery. Weekly salary, Food, and housing provided.
The Bear Grylls Survival Camp Counselor will lead the successful development and implementation of programming and services for Bear Grylls Teen Survival Camp participants. This will include the inventory and maintenance of survival/adventure-based equipment: including ruck sacks, survival knives, ropes, canteens, headlamps, etc… The BG Counselor (alongside the Coordinator) will work to ensure that the BG Summer Camp Department will achieve the highest standards and meet the mission of not only the Department, but the Frost Valley YMCA, Bear Grylls Survival Academy, and the expectations of the staff and camper families.
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must posses a clean, valid U.S. driver's license for the length of the position. Driving record must be approved prior to official acceptance
- Background in logistical planning, customer service, and group facilitation in an outdoor setting
- Wilderness First Responder & CPR certifications required. Certifications must be valid by July 1st, 2018-August 24th, 2018. Willing to train. A signed card/certification must be shown to Bear Grylls Teen Survival Camp Director prior to July 1st, 2018
- Experience working with participants in a rustic or minimalist camping environment
- Experience working with youth ages 11-17 in an outdoor setting, or a strong desire to gain experience in such an environment
- Experience working with camping, outdoor cooking, rappelling, climbing, hiking, as well as other adventure/survival-based activities desired.
- Able to hike 8-13 miles in rugged, uneven terrain per day with a pack weighing up to 1/3 of one's body weight and in good physical health overall
- Prior experience working in a camp or YMCA program setting.
- Be very detail oriented and safety conscious.
- Able to work long hours, including evening and late night programs in sometimes higher stress conditions
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Be a strong leader and be able to work well with a team of others.
- Present a strong, positive model for campers and fellow staff members
- Be able to multi-task and handle pressure well
- Ensure safety of all participants at all times
- Supervise all BG campers (loco parentis) from the time the first camper arrives at Frost Valley to the time in which the last campers leaves Frost Valley
- Assist to implement all aspects of Frost Valley’s BG Summer Survival Camp.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings
- Work evenings and or weekends as needed to provide support to summer camp programs during the summer months.
- Aid in logistics for all survival camp aspects: including meals, travel, vehicles, activities, and safety concerns.
- Aid in completing and submitting all required documentation including , but not limited to: trip logs, daily camper reports, accident reports, vehicle logs, etc.
- Offer outstanding customer service; prompt, friendly and reliable.
- Supervise a wide selection of program activities that will enhance the participants’ experience and ensure a safe, educational, and recreational experience.
- Participate in the training of seasonal summer staff with a focus on Survival Summer Camp programs.
- Responsible for maintaining staff morale.
- Aid the coordinator to ensure that the Bear Grylls Survival Camps are meeting or exceeding the standards of the Ulster County Department of Health, ACA, and Frost Valley’s Program Quality Standards, as well as those of the Bear Grylls Survival Academy
- Comply with all Personnel Policies.
- Assist in communication with all support departments in relation to Bear Grylls Teen Survival Camps.
- Be a good role model for fellow staff and campers at all times. This includes modeling acceptable behavior, language, Frost Valley's core values and outdoor standards of wilderness ethics.
The Bear Grylls Teen Survival Camp at Frost Valley YMCA is hiring 1 male counselor, 1 female counselor, and 1 coordinator
Follow the link to the Frost Valley YMCA's summer staff application page. If you have any questions about the positions or the process, please email Jeff Williams, Bear Grylls Survival Academy (BGSA) Catskills Director [email protected] or call 845-985-2291 ext. 315