Bilingual Outdoors Rx Program Instructor
This year-round, part-time position (approximately 20 hours/month) will help families get outside by providing fun and engaging programs in local parks. The ideal candidate will be available to deliver 1-3 programs per week, typically on weekends.
Outdoors Rx®, an initiative of the Appalachian Mountain Club, is a program for families which aims to improve the mental and physical well-being of children ages 13 and younger by helping them get outdoors. We achieve our mission through partnerships with trusted health professionals who write prescriptions to the outdoors, and by filling those prescriptions through free outdoor programs and resources. Outdoors Rx® is the first-known program to "fill" outdoor play prescriptions by developing local maps; offering free, close-to-home activities for families; and providing an online resource. The program gives healthcare professionals free, dedicated resources for prescribing regular outdoor physical activity to children. Outdoors Rx® is growing rapidly and already serves over 1,500 youth and families per year within our three regions: MetroWest, Chelsea/Revere and Boston.
- Program Delivery: Deliver family-based programs, typically 60-90 minutes in length, which spark dynamic participant experiences and encourage continued outdoor engagement.
- Family/Community Engagement: Through our medical and community partnerships, and grass roots organizing, connect families to our outdoor programming.
- Data Collection and Reporting: Document program outcomes and lessons learned, collect participant data, take photos, and compile program highlights.
- Team Support: Assist Program Coordinator with community outreach, participate in bi-weekly phone calls with Program Manager and attend staff trainings.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience facilitating family or youth programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and interest in working with people from a diverse range of backgrounds and outdoor experiences.
- Spanish language proficiency.
- Experience with community engagement.
- Demonstrated experience in program and partnership coordination.
- Previous Knowledge of Chelsea, Revere, Framingham or Waltham neighborhoods preferred.
To Apply: Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!