Birch Trail is a traditional summer camp for girls aged 7-15 located in Minong, Wisconsin. We provide a safe, fun, and non-competitive summer camp environment for 225 campers and 115 staff. While in camp, the girls have the opportunity to do a wide variety of activities, including canoeing, sailing, swimming, tennis, water skiing, climbing, land sports, horseback riding, arts & crafts, dance, yoga, and drama.
If you want to work with children in the outdoors, gain valuable leadership experience, and share your skills with others, then a summer at Birch Trail is for you! All staff members have the opportunity to use the camp facilities and enjoy all that camp has to offer. Our staff members regularly describe their experiences working at Birch Trail as “the summer of a lifetime.”
Job Responsibilities: Under the guidance of the Directors and Camp Doctor, a Camp Nurse’s goal is to provide a safe and healthy environment for all campers and staff. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing entrance and exit physicals on all campers;
- Administrating daily medications to campers and staff;
- Accompanying campers to the Emergency Room, Pharmacy, Orthodontist or Dentist when necessary;
- Attending to and advising campers and staff, at specified and not specified times throughout the day;
- Keeping a clean and safe facility and adhering to health and safety practices and standards;
- Keeping up-to-date records/logs of camper and staff treatment;
- Being on call overnight 2-3 times per week;
- Replenishing first aid kits;
- Ordering supplies;
- Acting as a leader and positive role model for campers;
- Using utmost care and judgment when making decisions affecting the well-being of campers;
- Reporting any problems or concerns to an administrative staff member; and
- Communicating with parents as necessary.
All staff members of Birch Trail Camp must be able to:
- Think clearly at all times.
- Work cooperatively with staff and campers.
- Exercise good judgment.
- Operate tools, equipment, vehicles, boats and appliances as applicable to job duties.
- Assist staff and campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, injury or natural disaster).
- Maintain supervision of assigned area(s) while on duty.
- Possess the mental, visual and auditory ability to respond to environmental hazards and internal and external threats to the camp community.
Preferred Experience: Applicants should have experience and/or interest in working with children for extended periods of time. All applicants should hold current driver’s license and have a good driving record. RN, Grad Nurses or EMT certification required. We provide compensation for reciprocity. A Camp Nurse should be a fun, patient, honest, flexible, caring and responsible person who wants to spend time in the outdoors with kids.
Compensation: Approximately $4,000 for the entire contract period - Birch Trail staff must be available from June 7th - August 10th, 2018. Salaries are based on the individual applicant’s experience. Compensation packages include room & board plus a tax free travel stipend. Additional salary bonuses are available for certain certifications and for additional weeks worked either before or after the camping season.
Both men and women who are at least 18 years old are encouraged to apply. For more information about Birch Trail and to find an online application, please visit www.birchtrail.com. Applications, letters of interest, and/or resumes can also be faxed or mailed to the winter office. If you have additional questions, please email [email protected] or call the winter office.