Campus Safety Officer
Campus Safety Officer
University of Puget Sound
Job ID: 4314
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Appointment: Regular, full-time position. Schedule is Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday, 10 p.m. - 8 a.m.
Conduct vehicle and foot patrols of campus. Respond to observations and/or complaints of criminal activity and complete related written reports. Provide first responder medical aid. Respond to campus burglar and fire alarm activations and assist in alarm system inspections and initiate repairs as necessary. Contribute to campus safety by providing vehicle escorts and various crime prevention measures. Interact professionally and effectively with Tacoma Police and Fire personnel. Provide leadership and training to part-time student staff members. Provide security for special events as needed, enforce campus parking regulations, and perform other duties as assigned.
• Perform regular vehicle and foot patrols
• Respond to criminal activity (or to reports of) and to first-aid medical needs of campus community
• Complete security related documentation and incident reports
• Communicate effectively using two-way radio
• Perform campus parking enforcement
• Provide fire and burglar alarm response and investigation
• Mentor, train, and informally evaluate on-duty part-time student staff
• Manage and participate in routine shift duties or assignments
• Inspect fire safety and burglar alarm equipment
• Provide courtesy safety escort service in vehicle and on foot for campus population
• Complete daily assignments to support department activities and operations
• Commitment to serve fairly, protect, and communicate, within a diverse campus community
Some responsibility for part-time student staff. Distribute work and guide priorities, train staff, review and approve work, contribute to performance reviews, issue oral and written recommendations, recommend corrective action.
No budgetary responsibilities. All staff must be fiscally responsible by caring for issued department equipment.
• AA degree or equivalent related 2 years work experience in security services. Equivalent combination of education and relevant experience considered.
• Campus security in higher education is desirable
• CPR and First Aid certification
• Washington state driver's license or ability to obtain one upon start of work
• Ability to work independently, and confront others in a professional and polite manner
• Physically capable to run and to defend self and/or others
• Must be able to carry/drag heavy objects
• Frequently lifting/carrying up to (but not limited)1-10 pounds
• Ability to handle being exposed to wet/humid conditions and changing temperatures for extended time periods
• Must be able to act quickly and accurately
• Must have ability to be effective on a grave yard shift
• Must be able to use campus resources to find creative solutions to problems
• Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions
• Ability to respectfully work, communicate and provide leadership within a diverse campus community
• We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
• We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
• We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
Compensation and Benefits: Decisions about starting salaries are made based on the extent and relatedness of the candidate's education and experience and on internal equity and market considerations.
This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The pay rate for this position is $18.25 per hour.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices--services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
Application Deadline: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by August 10, 2018 to ensure consideration.
Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry and if applicable for the position, drug screen, physical test and functional assessment.
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1270801
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.