Pay Status: Exempt
Expected Hours: Minimum 40 hours/week
Dates of Employment/Start Date: May 20, 2019 - August 11, 2019
Reports To: Camp Staff and Curriculum Coordinator
Housing Available: Yes (staff in this position are required to live on campus)
Number of Positions Available: 2 = 1 dedicated to Day Programs + 1 dedicated to Discovery Programs
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
The employees of Keystone Science School collectively work for the Mission, and truly live the Vision and Values! Our campus is located at 9,200 feet on the site of Old Keystone Village in Keystone, Colorado. Our historic 23-acre campus serves as the ultimate outdoor laboratory and is the home base for our diverse suite of programs. Our facilities include modern log-style dormitories, a central dining hall, an outdoor amphitheater, a state-of-the-art observatory, and a geothermal field. Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary:
KSS offers a range of programs that provide a balance of hands-on science activities, field-based exploration, and adventure programming. All programs are based upon a theme including but not limited to aquatic ecology, forest ecology, earth science, naturalization, health, and leadership.
The Curriculum Manager works with either the day or overnight camp programs. This position is responsible for planning and coordinating all teaching themes throughout the summer. This includes training other Instructors on the curriculum themes, group management techniques, facilitation styles, and general oversight of all summer program activities. The Curriculum Manager is responsible for creating and implementing the serial skit, meal time entertainment, big group games, station rotations, and evening programs.
Our ideal candidate will focus on the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Main areas of focus:
- 30% Teaching;
- 60% Lesson planning and curriculum development;
- 10% Support staff duties (e.g. facilitation of meals, set up/clean up, transportation, student free time);
- Plan, prepare, and teach grade appropriate activities;
- Maintain quality programming by focusing on program development, delegation, implementation, training, and evaluation;
- Supervise, mentor, motivate, and inspire Instructors;
- Supervise and maintain high standards of health and safety, and follow Risk Management policies in all activities;
- Plan, support, lead, and/or delegate a wide variety of KSS programs and activities, which includes but is not limited to: serial skit, meal time entertainment, evening programs, large group games, station rotations, "Camper Choice" periods, campfires, etc.;
- Provide professional development opportunities and activity enrichment ideas for Instructors;
- Facilitate and provide task-based projects to Instructors and ensure completion by the given deadline;
- Prevent multi-session children from experiencing "burnout" by ensuring program variation;
- Provide an electronics-free experience for all children;
- Set up before children arrive and clean up after children depart from KSS campus;
- Maintain storage of all KSS equipment, including teaching materials, gear, keys, toys, etc.;
- Attend, facilitate, and provide content for staff meetings and trainings as assigned;
- Candidates age 21+ with a minimum of 5 years driving experience will be required to participate in and pass Van Driver Training, and they will be required to drive a 15-passenger van;
- Abide by and uphold the policies and procedures set forth by KSS;
- Other duties as assigned.
The minimum requirements in knowledge, skills, and abilities for the candidate of our choice:
- Have an interest in, respect for, and ability to work with children;
- Proven ability to creatively develop science and education curricula, lesson plans, and fun new activities;
- Ability to adapt instruction and lessons to meet a wide variety of learners utilizing different educational philosophies;
- Ability to be creative, adaptable, and flexible while managiing children in a variety of situations;
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals and educational methods;
- Disciplined in thinking that is clear, rational, open-minded, and informed by evidence;
- Strong work ethic and will work until the job is complete;
- Motivation to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community;
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written or oral form;
- Multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Superior customer service skills, with the ability to be creative and think 'outside the box';
- Strong command of communication, writing, and organizational skills;
- Effectively interact with people of diverse backgrounds and different levels of experience;
- Ability to work in a busy environment with many distractions;
- Write incident reports and lesson plans with attention to detail.
Our required education, experience, and certifications:
- Candidates with prior childcare experience will be asked to provide verification of 460 hours of previous experience working with school-age children;
- Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certifications, from an approved vendor, or the ability to obtain before the first day of employment;
- Excellent driving record and a valid driver's license;
- Must be able to successfully pass a comprehensive background check.
In addition to the above required talents, our ideal candidate will have these preferred skillsets:
- Openwater Lifeguard certificate;
- Desired computer skills include proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.) and Adobe;
- Comprehension of the Spanish language via written and/or verbal form.
There will be significant travel in Summit County and throughout Colorado, but no travel outside the state.
The physical demands of this position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or hold objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee must be able to lift and carry at least 40 pounds for an extended duration. The employee is occasionally required to travel for extended periods over rugged backcountry terrain. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Our work environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to work in close contact with his/her teammates. The office space is small and the employee must have the ability to stay focused while others are working in close proximity. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but varies seasonally due to programs and staffing on campus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works outside in various weather conditions.
2 positions available
Ready to find yourself at the heart of Science. Adventure. Fun? Apply now!
Please submit the Employment Application (Seasonal Positions) found at KeystoneScienceSchool.org/Employment. All applications will require a cover letter, resume, and 3 references. In your cover letter, please indicate your desired salary/wage. The first review of applications will begin in January of 2019, however applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. For more information, please contact the Human Resources department at [email protected].