Director of Outdoor Education
Earlham College is currently seeking qualified candidates for the Director of Outdoor Education. Earlham is a national, selective liberal arts college of approximately 1100 students located in Richmond, Indiana. Since 1971, the Outdoor Education program at Earlham has a nationally recognized and strong history of developing future leaders in outdoor and environmental education and is considered one of the oldest programs of its kind in the country. The program operates courses and trips regionally, nationally, and internationally including yearly expeditions to Utah. We are seeking a leader who, working collaboratively, can articulate and enact a compelling vision for the integration of outdoor education within our Environmental Leadership Program, Student Life, and more broadly with the liberal arts.
Major program areas include the historic and nationally regarded August Wilderness summer pre-orientation program, the integrated academic and co-curricular pathway in Outdoor Education, indoor climbing wall, and student-led outdoor-based activity courses and trips.
This position works collaboratively with other administrative faculty as part of the broader Environmental Leadership Program and Student Life at Earlham. Major responsibilities include:
- Overall vision, direction, and coordination of all major program areas including the August Wilderness summer pre-orientation program, student-taught outdoor-based courses and trips, and the Integrated Pathway in outdoor education
- Staff hiring, training, and risk management coordination for all program areas
- Curriculum design and development for all program areas
- Teaching courses connected to the Outdoor Education program and the Environmental Sustainability academic major such as Outdoor Trip Leadership and the Advanced Field Practicum (May Term)
- Oversee the Wilderness First Responder certification course working with an external provider
- Purchasing, inventory, and maintenance of all field equipment
- Management and student staff supervision of the Outdoor Education Center and indoor climbing wall
- Faculty Advisor to the Outdoors Club and outdoor education theme house
- Serving as a collaborative team member in the ELP and Student Life
- Serving on College committees and special work groups as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
Successful candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree. A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred. Applicants should have instructional and logistical experience in outdoor education including expedition-based trips . A varied range of technical outdoor skills, certifications, and competencies specifically related to rock climbing, canoeing, and backpacking is required along with a current Wilderness First Responder certification (or concrete plans to attain). Candidates should have a demonstrated track record of successful program development and oversight along with strong teaching and administrative skills. Candidates should also have a strong affinity towards working in a highly diverse educational learning community.
12-month administrative faculty position with full benefits.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; resume/vitae; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF or MS Word file to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, Indiana 47374-4095
Email: [email protected]
Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled.