Outward Bound Hong Kong is looking to hire a full time FIRST MATE to join the crew on board our Challenge 67 yacht ‘Spirit of Outward Bound Hong Kong’. Their role, aside from duties in maintenance and servicing include but are not limited to supervising instructors and participants whilst out on course maintaining operational safety as a priority.
Outward Bound Hong Kong strives to transform and better equip the people of Hong Kong with readily transferrable and relevant skills to deal with the daily workings of life which are facilitated through specific learning outcomes built within outdoor journey-based programmes that utilise experiential education where participants are challenged to push their limits and pursue self-discovery.
‘Spirit of Outward Bound Hong Kong’ operates over 200 days a year of such programmes with participants from a wide variety of backgrounds. When not on course, the crew is expected to perform maintenance tasks on-board and also engage in the development of training and operational efficiency where on-board sail training can incorporate essential educational requirements.
Suitable candidates should carry an interest and motivation in working with and developing the people of Hong Kong using sailing as a teaching tool and in addition, meet the following criteria:
- Experience in Deckwork, Servicing Engines & Generators and Hardware (i.e. winches)
- Immediate Availability Preferred
- RYA/MCA Equivalent Sailing Qualifications
- HK MARDEP Pleasure Vessel Operators Certificate Of Competency Grade I1(Requirement to Obtain Grade I within Given Timeframe)
- Recognised First Aid Certification
- OFCA/GMDSS VHF Radio Certificate or Equivalent
- Use, Care & Maintenance of Diesel Engines Type Certification Preferred
- STCW95/10 Basic Safety Training (or HKSF Safety at Sea Survival at a Minimum)
- A Belief in Developing Human Potential
- A Willingness for Flexibility in Regards to Situations, Working Hours and Conditions
- A Willingness to Train and Develop Fellow Staff
- Active and Engaging within the Local Sailing Community
- Always Pursuing Personal Development and/or Experience
- An Eye for Detail and Safety
- Open and Honest Communication Skills
- To prepare and accept working irregular schedules often overnight; at times over a period of a week