HIGH FLIGHT & ADVENTURE SPECIALIST
An exciting opportunity to join a progressive, cause-driven YMCA located in Hopkinton. The Family Outdoor Center, a branch of the MetroWest YMCA, is located on 122 pristine acres that include a summer camp with over 960 campers a weeks, teambuilding and conference groups throughout the year, adventure-based Y programs and unique teen programming.
The MetroWest YMCA Family Outdoor Center is seeking a professional who will guide our programs with enthusiasm through hands-on instruction and role modeling. Reporting to the High Flight Director, this position primarily assists with at-risk youth in our High Flight program. Additionally, the specialist assists in adventure education groups, implementation of outdoor education programs (archery, climbing, nature, winter adventure, etc.), and a summer camp leadership role as assigned.
Candidates should have a proven track record of creative program leadership and instruction. This position will provide direct program delivery as assigned (typically 30 hours weekly up to 40+ hours during peak weekends). This position has a typical working schedule of Tuesday through Saturday, often adjusting the working schedule for one and two night overnights through Sunday.
High Flight – The position will assist the High Flight Director in High Flight operations. High Flight is an adventured-based, outdoor learning program designed to grow and instill confidence in developing teens and young adults. Experience in leading and developing others, especially teenagers, is critical as the core of the program targets youth who need additional guidance. Candidates should have a passion for exploring adventurous activities both in and outdoors and in particular camping, climbing, and hiking (or at least the enthusiasm to learn). This position will provide direct instruction as assigned.
Family Programs & Adventure Education - Will work to expand current family programming as well as identifying potential for new programs. Family centered events are needed with a focus on connecting with nature and the outdoors. Knowledge and experience in planning family and adventure curricula is a must. The Specialist will lead ropes groups on days as assigned and assist on other program days when directed.
- Bachelor's degree in human services, social services, recreation, education, business or equivalent.
- Prior YMCA or related work
- Have the ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and purpose of the YMCA including working with diverse populations
- Possess or ability to complete: ropes course and belay trainings, CPR/AED and First Aid certifications, lifeguard certification, archery certification.
- Ability to establish and maintain authentic and deepened relationships with others specifically with the community and other organizations
- Strong leadership and instructional skills
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- A professional image and the ability to work harmoniously with staff, members and the community
- Possess a valid United States Driver’s License, driving record reviewed and approved by Executive Leadership, and ability to operate assigned YMCA vehicles as trained.
- He / or She must be physically capable to set up program equipment and have the ability to hear and see activities and problems as they occur.
- Able to safely and competently operate and facilitate in remote areas in varying environmental conditions year round.
- Ability to lift/support up to 50lbs in program environments
- Ability to oversee a climbing wall and challenge course.
- Ability to swim or learn to swim
Great health benefits (medical, dental, vision, life and LTD) including 10% YMCA paid retirement, YMCA membership privileges and opportunities for professional development. Pay commensurate with experience.
At the MetroWest YMCA, our cause defines us. We know that lasting personal and social change comes about when we all work together. That's why, at the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. The Y is open to all, and we pride ourselves on the diversity of our members and employees. As an employer, the Y seeks to recruit energetic professionals, encourage work-life balance, and provide opportunities for growth and development. EOE