International Program Instructor
Work the endless summer (3 summers in 18 months) by joining our international team! Our international program instructor position allows you to work as an outdoor education and leadership development instructor in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, and then fly to New Zealand as our fall season winds down to begin working as a spring, summer and fall instructor on the beautiful North Island. Participants in the program will work in the United States between April and September, and New Zealand between October and March. The agreement lasts 18 months from when you commence the program. We have positions remaining for US Passport holders for this coming season.
The BOC International Program Instructor (IPI) is responsible for leading activities in the fields of outdoor education, leadership development, teambuilding and adventure recreation. Additionally, PIs are responsible for leading large group activities, evening programs and supervised check-in, check-out, arrival and departure procedures. Additionally, IPIs perform routine cleaning and dish duties. Occasionally, IPIs are responsible for overnight supervision of guests and/or as hosts of groups.
For more information and a detailed job description, visit bccymca.org/boc/home/employment/positions-available/international-program-instructor or review the detailed job description below:
The Program Instructor must:
- Have a commitment to the mission and vision of BCCYMCA and the goals of Berkshire Outdoor Center.
- Have the capability to teach outdoor education and leadership to a diverse audience from a range of group types.
- Have the ability to supervise children of varying ages, abilities and backgrounds safely.
- Have the desire to perform routine cleaning and dish duty enthusiastically, safely, quickly and effectively.
- Have the ability to respond quickly and effectively to all emergencies.
Additional (Preferred) Qualifications:
- Experience working with children in an outdoor education setting
- Teambuilding & Challenge Course experience, including belay experience.
- Environmental education teaching experience – including science & ecology teaching experience
- Waterfront, boating, canoeing, kayaking instructional experience
- Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid
- Winter sports experience - Cross-Country Skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating
- Knowledge of local ecosystems.
- Teach outdoor education and environmental education to youth and adults.
- Teach leadership skills, service-learning skills and adventure recreation skills to youth and adults.
- Teach arts and crafts and other camp activities to youth and adults.
- Supervise indoor and outdoor activities safely.
- Cleaning – including sweeping, mopping, trash removal and dishes. Other cleaning as assigned.
- Act as the on-call host of specified groups.
- Provide occasional after-hours supervision.
- Function as an effective team member; be flexible with schedule changes and customer needs
- Serve as a senior mentor (and role model) to new Program Instructors
- Assist in training other staff in areas of expertise
- Keep inventories of BOC stock and equipment
- Participate in trainings, meetings and other professional development opportunities
- Be alert to new program opportunities & be responsive to evaluations, participate in curriculum review & development
Effect on end Results:
- Each group visiting BOC will experience consistent and high quality customer service.
- All programs administered by BOC will be conducted in a fun, safe and age appropriate manner.
- Staff morale and retention will be consistently high.
- Weekly group evaluations will meet defined expectations.
This job is available to 7 US Passport holders (visa requirements), annually. This position can commence January-April or August. Applicants must meet all New Zealand work visa requirements.
Please visit https://www.bccymca.org/boc/home/employment/positions-available/international-program-instructor/new-zealand and review the information. If you are qualified, click application at the bottom of the page. Follow all prompts until you have successfully completed your online application.