Kitchen assistants will work under the guidance of the Food Service Director or Head Chef to ensure that the kitchen is clean and operational and will assist in serving three meals per day/seven days per week. Kitchen assistants will prep food, dispose of trash, clean, prepare the Dining Hall, and wash dishes and kitchen linens. Responsible for maintaining PA Food Safety standards for the duration of Summer Camp.
- Ensure that the camp’s food service operations are carried out in a manner which meets federal, state and local health standards.
- Clean and sanitize all food preparation areas, preparation equipment, floors and other kitchen/dining hall areas as required.
- Wash all dishes, serving dishes, preparation equipment and utensils according to regulated washing methods and temperatures.
- Ensure all dishes serving, preparation equipment and utensils are appropriately stored at the end of each meal.
- Sort, store, and distribute ingredients.
- Assist in the preparation of food as menu indicates including wash, peel, chop, cut, cook and help to prepare salads and desserts.
- Assist in food storage and leftovers at the proper temperatures.
- Dispose of trash and as required.
- Assist with cleaning and organizing laundry as required.
- Set up and break down dining hall tables, set food out for meal on time according to the kitchen/camp expectations.
- Knowledge of allergies and dietary restrictions and of food preparation and cleaning standards according to federal, state and local health standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to communicate in English
- Minimum age of 19 years old
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Ability to work in a camp setting in conditions including, but not limited to: loud noises, heat, rain, and cool temperatures
- Desire to work in the food service industry
- Ability to walk over uneven terrain
- Ability to work independently as well as a team
- Desire and ability to work with children
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance
- Ability to work a varied, flexible schedule
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Professional attitude, integrity, and adaptability
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control
- Desire to be a positive role model, approachable and excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be able to pass required background check
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications or ability to pass training during pre-camp