Leadership Training Assistant (Boston, MA)
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), America's oldest conservation, education and recreation organization, is now searching for a Leadership Training Assistant! AMC’s Leadership Training & Risk Management Department is responsible for providing training and risk management expertise to staff and volunteer activity leaders. Using both indoor and outdoor classrooms, the department instructs AMC leaders in guiding safety-focused excursions across the club’s region in addition to sharing our expertise with like-minded organizations.
This is a full time, 6-month seasonal position that starts in Fall 2019. Candidates with the availability to work through the entire season are preferred. Standard workdays are Monday through Friday with some weekends scheduled in advance.
• Conduct both classroom-based and field-based leadership trainings for AMC program participants, staff and volunteers.
• Assist with trip logistics and paperwork for all Leadership Training programs.
• Organize and maintain program gear, including group backpacking materials, first aid kits and backcountry radios.
• Work with volunteer field instructors and staff to plan menus, food requisitions and distributions, curriculum needs and other instructor logistics for Mountain Leadership School programs.
• Promote AMC’s excellence in leadership training through blog posts, new curriculum development and communications with volunteers, staff and participants.
• Periodically travel to locations across AMC’s geographic region to facilitate training and/or attend meetings with staff and volunteers.
• Help coordinate transportation for groups; drive passenger vans when needed.
• Fill in as an instructor for other AMC programs as necessary.
• Education: B.A. or B.S. degree (or completing course work toward a degree) in the field of adventure education, outdoor leadership and recreation, environmental studies, education or a related field. Or appropriate work history demonstrating ability to perform work as outlined in this description.
• Experience: Background in both “front-country” and “backcountry” leadership. Comfort with public speaking and using various instructional techniques. Prior positive working relationships with adults, program participants and volunteers preferred.
• General Knowledge: Experience meal planning, managing equipment and selecting routes for backcountry groups. Familiarity with the AMC and White Mountains is desired. Demonstrated knowledge of outdoor leadership and the ability to provide instruction to groups of various sizes and ages.
• Certification Requirements: Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA), WFR or WEMT and CPR preferred. WFA certification can be provided to the appropriate candidate.
• Physical Requirements: Ability to carry a 40+ pound backpack for 3-8 miles/day over a variety of terrain in varied weather conditions. Ability to perform computer-based work in an office setting.
• Background Checks: Satisfactory driving record and background check as verified by state record check. 21+ years old and ability to obtain DOT medical clearance to drive vehicles.
Employee Perks: Benefits include a 30% discount on all merchandise sold at AMC facilities and in AMC catalogs, access to various pro deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates, a one-year AMC membership and 4 free nights for you and your immediately family members at AMC facilities.
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!