Organic Farming Program Instructor
Spend a summer in the beautiful Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia. Make a positive difference in the lives of campers from around the globe by leading our organic farming program.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Planning, supervising, and tending all program operations in the Camp Hidden Meadows Farm. Our farm includes an organic vegetable garden and a wide range of domestic animals including rabbits, chickens, donkeys, sheep, goats, horses, and friendly cats.
- Daily work includes garden plotting, planting, weeding, watering, feeding, cleaning animal areas, and harvesting vegetables and eggs.
- Teaching hands-on youth workshops including Organic Gardening and Farm Animal Care. Training other staff members in garden and animal care duties.
- Using the garden and animal classes as teaching tools to develop responsibility, sustainable living, and other life skills in youth aged 6-16.
- Providing harvested vegetables for the camp kitchen throughout the summer season.
Qualifications: We are looking for staff with a positive attitude, a spirit of adventure and a desire to impact each camper in a positive way. Sincerity, enthusiasm, sound judgment, constructive communication and a good sense of humor are all qualities that we value in staff. Additional qualifications for this position include:
- Well developed time management and farm management organizational skills.
- Organic gardening and farm animal care preferred, but not required.
- Problem-solving and innovation skills required for developing and maintaining a successful garden.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Desire to work with and instruct youth aged 6-16, as well as to serve as a positive role model for youth.
- Interest in working hard, learning new skills, and taking on new challenges.
Salary/Benefits: Competitive salary, room, board, internet access and time off in wild and wonderful West Virginia. Living and working with a group of young people is both a challenging and rewarding experience.
June 9, 2019 or earlier depending on your availability. Through August 17, 2019.