Outdoor Adventure Coordinator
The Youth Opportunities Program, an outdoor education, professional development and social justice program of the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), is seeking to fill the role of YOP Outdoor Adventure Coordinator!
This role will work closely with our direct service team and collaboratively with our youth agency and school partners to support year-round outdoor adventures for youth. This includes planning and co-leading trips as well as providing logistical trip support for independent experiences, specifically for partners in Worcester and Boston. Work time is roughly 70% in the field and 30% administrative.
This full-time, exempt position offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits and is anticipated to start in early to mid-August. Hours include overnights while on trips. The position is based at AMC’s Program and Equipment Center in Charlestown, MA, and regional travel is expected.
Outreach and Retention
- Cultivate and sustain organizational partnerships with teachers and youth development professionals from approximately 20 member agencies and schools in Boston and Worcester.
- Create and maintain timeline for outdoor engagement of partner organizations.
YOP Member Support
- Collaborate with and support YOP-trained teachers and youth development professionals in their efforts to get youth outdoors.
- Model best practices and provide a positive learning environment.
- Plan, organize and co-lead trips. Activities include hiking, camping, backpacking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing and canoeing.
- Share and deliver curricula on leadership, communication, teambuilding and outdoor skills.
- Recruit for and instruct a week-long, multi-activity summer youth leadership trip.
- Oversee logistics for trips, including food purchasing, gear needs, and creating itineraries.
- Provide backup logistical and emergency support to trips in the field. Provide on-call coverage.
- Develop and implement new curricula with a focus on local, replicable activities.
- Document trips through photos and informative trip summaries. Compile statistics and assist with grant reporting.
Qualifications & Experience:
- We seek a responsible, energetic and organized individual who is dedicated to the mission of YOP to make the outdoors accessible to all.
- Background and experience in Outdoor Leadership/Recreation, Environmental Education, Youth Development, Education or related field. This includes two years of experience working with youth and prior experience in an overnight or outdoor adventure program leading hiking or camping trips.
- Commitment to Equity and Inclusion, with experience and interest in working with people from diverse cultural, racial and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Experience establishing and maintaining strong organizational or community partnerships.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team, in an office with an open floor plan.
- Excellent logistical and organizational skills for outdoor program planning and implementation.
- Prior knowledge in risk management. Certification in Wilderness First Aid and CPR (can be obtained upon hire).
- Ability to drive 12-passenger van safely and a clear personal driving history. Must hold valid driver’s license and be able to pass a DOT medical exam.
- Ability to hike and camp in mountain terrain carrying a 40 pound pack, in all weather conditions.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings.
To Apply: Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Anticipated start date is early to mid-August. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!