Outdoor Education Instructor
Pali Institute is seeking enthusiastic educators with a strong work ethic to join our outdoor education family. We are a rigorous, fast-paced, fun program constantly striving to develop exciting outdoor curriculum for students in grades 4-12th. Pali Instructors teach different students every week in a variety of classes within the disciplines of science, outdoor education and leadership development. Pali strives to be an excellent educational supplement to classroom-based education and is proud to be a WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) and AEE (Association for Experiential Education) accredited organization.
~Currently Hiring For Spring 2017~
Our instructors teach activity groups during the day as well as take on the role of cabin instructor during meals and in the evenings. Our science curriculum covers a broad array of topics such as ecology, geology, biology, and physical sciences. We foster and encourage personal and social growth with the help of our team building sessions, low ropes course, three high ropes courses and quad zip lines. In addition to Leadership and Science curriculum we also focus on Outdoor Education which includes hikes, LNT principles, and basic camping skills. Evening programming includes activities with a focus on science such as astronomy or night hikes as well as activities designed around the traditional camp experiences including dances, karaoke, and variety shows.
During cabin time, instructors can customize the students’ free time, gearing activities or relaxation time towards sharing personal passions like music or art, or adventuring out to play games during an exploratory hike. By the end of the week, our instructors are able to reflect on both the rewards of working with children and teaching in the outdoors.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree; preferably with coursework in recreation, science and education.
- Extensive experience in the camping and/or experiential education fields.
- Be comfortable and confident supervising and teaching students in large and small groups.
- Must be able to have fun with kids, laugh at yourself and be silly!
- Must have a good sense of humor.
- Must have the ability to be flexible and adjust to changes quickly.
- Must have the ability to work in a team environment with 45 other staff!
- Have a positive attitude.
- Handle concerns/issues in a constructive manner.
- Must be able to receive constructive feedback and apply the information in the timely manner.
- The ability to learn and execute the lessons/activities in an expansive curriculum.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must pass a federal and state background check.
- First Aid/CPR certification
Hours: This is a full-time seasonal position running from the beginning of January through the first week of June. You can expect to be in cabin 75% of the time.
Program Type: Pali is a Residential School Program.
Benefits: Pro-Deals, 50% of health care covered after 90 days, living in Southern California, and working with like minded people
Housing: Instructors are provided off-site housing accommodation for weekend and out of cabin use. During the week staff live on-site in cabins.
Wages/Pay: $280.00/Week with additional pay for each night in cabin ($25.00)
Please Send Resume, Cover Letter, and a Completed Application to [email protected]. For more information please send an email or call 909-867-5743. Our application can be filled out at https://www.paliinstitute.com/outdoor-education-jobs/.