Outdoor Education Instructor
Pali Institute is seeking enthusiastic educators with a strong work ethic to join our outdoor education family. We are a rigorous, fast-paced, fun program constantly striving to develop exciting outdoor curriculum for students in grades 4-12th. Pali Instructors teach different students every week in a variety of classes within the disciplines of science, outdoor education and leadership development. Pali strives to be an excellent educational supplement to classroom-based education and is proud to be a WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) and AEE (Association for Experiential Education) accredited organization.
~Currently Hiring For Fall 2018 and the 2018-2019 School Year~
Our instructors teach activity groups during the day as well as take on the role of cabin instructor during meals and in the evenings. Our science curriculum covers a broad array of topics such as ecology, geology, biology, and physical sciences. We foster and encourage personal and social growth with the help of our team building sessions, low ropes course, five high ropes courses, and two zip lines. In addition to Leadership and Science curriculum, we also focus on Outdoor Education which includes hikes, LNT principles, and basic camping skills. Evening programming includes activities with a focus on science such as astronomy or night hikes as well as activities designed around the traditional camp experiences including dances, karaoke, and variety shows.
During cabin time, instructors can customize the students’ free time, gearing activities or relaxation time towards sharing personal passions like music or art, or adventuring out to play games during an exploratory hike. By the end of the week, our instructors are able to reflect on both the rewards of working with children and teaching in the outdoors.
· Experience in the camping and/or experiential education fields.
· Be comfortable and confident supervising and teaching students in large and small groups.
· Must be able to have fun with kids, laugh at yourself and be silly!
· Must have the ability to be flexible and adjust to changes quickly.
· Must have the ability to work in a team environment with 60+ other staff!
· Have a positive attitude.
· Handle concerns/issues in a constructive manner.
· Must be able to receive constructive feedback and apply the information in a timely manner.
· The ability to learn and execute the lessons/activities in an expansive curriculum.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Must pass a federal and state background check and drug test.
· First Aid/CPR certification
· Must be at least 21 years old
Hours: This is a full-time seasonal position. Our fall season begins August 20, 2018 with different length contracts available. You can expect to be in cabin 75% of the time.
Program Type: Pali is a Residential School Program.
Benefits: Pro-Deals, 50% of healthcare covered after 90 days, living in Southern California, all but one weekend off a season, and working with awesome, like-minded people!
Housing: Instructors are provided off-site housing accommodation for weekend and out of cabin use. During the week staff lives on-site in cabins.
Wages/Pay: Weekly salary with additional pay for each night in cabin ($25.00). Additional pay bumps available for education or experience. Option to work over the weekend for additional pay.
To apply to be an Outdoor Education Instructor at Pali Institute please fill out an application and attach your resume.