Outdoor Education Instructor and Course Director
Positive Adventures will begin taking resume’s in April for Outdoor Educators to support our 2017 Fall Outdoor Education season. Our programs are generally 3-5 days in length and are implemented in a variety of settings including residential camps, desert and coastal base camp programs, and backcountry excursions.
Our participants range from 12-17 years of age and are accompanied by school chaperones. Courses are held in and around Southern California including Long Beach, Idyllwild, Big Bear, Santa Barbara, Joshua Tree National Park and the Sierra Mountain Range.
Programs with increased complexity will demand higher certifications. WFR, Lifeguard, and AMGA Certs are in high demand for our programs. Once contracted for a program, each instructor is expected to arrange transportation to and from each location. Many carpooling opportunities will available by way of our equipment vehicle and other staff carpools.
Meals are provided beginning with dinner on the first night (byo lunch) and continue until the students depart. Healthy groceries are provided and staff work together to prepare staff meals the majority of the time. When the students arrive, we will have “Logi” preparing everyone’s meals (you perhaps?) or the camp will cook for everyone, if we are staying at a residential camp.
- Facilitate a trail group of 13-15 students through multi-activity OE curriculum in the residential camp and/or backcountry settings.
- Facilitate team building initiatives, group games, ice breakers and warm up activities for 3+ hour blocks with a trail group.
- Manage the risk involved with OE programs including group management, activity specific risks and emotional and social boundaries.
- Manage belay stations effectively in both the ropes course and top-rope rock climbing site environments.
- Lead groups through activity rotations such as: high ropes course, scrambling and hiking, environmental education hikes and lessons, low ropes team building. Night adaptation and astronomy.
- Current First Aid/CPR
- Wilderness First Aid Recommended
- Wilderness First Responder Required for Back Country Programs and Strongly Recommended for All
- 2+ years of experience working in the outdoor education field with youth.
- Proficient skills in the following: group facilitation, team-building initiatives and games, risk management, environmental education and interpretation, ecology and natural history. Experience in belaying and ropes courses is a plus although we cover this in training.
- Excellent communication, leadership and teamwork skills.
- Proven ability to manage youth groups.
- Reliable mode of transportation and cell phone.
- Availability to attend a training 8/7- 8/10/2017 (paid at minimum wage)
- Ability to pass a background check/live scan.
Dates of Employment:
We require that all new employees attend our four-day training 8/7- 8/10/2017 paid at minimum wage. Most of the training will take place at our office and warehouse in San Diego, at a local ropes course and could include other activities like rock climbing or hiking. Accommodations will be made available for overnight. Please do not apply if you are unavailable for these dates.
Full time seasonal employment begins after training and we remain busy until the end of October. Part time staff will be asked to work the programs with the highest demand for staff. If you qualify for backcountry programs, they will take place from September 26 – October 7 in Escalante, UT, Rae Lakes, CA and Havasupai, AZ.
We are looking to staff the following dates and are looking for instructors who can make multiple programs locations and dates:
Training PA Office & Cedar Lake 08/07-08/10/17
Cedar Lake 8/18/17-08/21/17
Fawnskin-Camp Whittle 8/22/17-08/25/17
Cedar Lake 8/24/17-08/27/17
Los Angeles 8/29/17-09/01/17
Big Bear Whittle 8/28/17-09/01/17
Fawnskin-Big Bear-Camp Whittle 9/5/17-09/08/17
Big Bear Whittle 9/17/17-09/20/18
Big Bear Whittle 9/20/17-9/22/17
Escalante, Utah 09/26-09/30/17, 10/01-10/07/17
Rae Lakes Arrive 9/30-10/07/17
Joshua Tree 9/30-10/07/17
Camp Surf 10/14/17-10/2017
Joshua Tree 10/24/17-10/27/17
Positive Adventures is proud to compensate our facilitators at a highly competitive rate. We value your expertise, hardwork and dedication to our field.
Applications will be reviewed starting in May and accepted until July 31, 2017. If you have an interest in a position at Positive Adventures, we would love to hear from you! To apply, please send your resume, Expiration dates of relevant certificates, three professional references, and answers to the questions below to Alicia Dolan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1: Please provide 2 examples of risk management issues that you have observed or experienced while working in our industry. Describe how you did, or would handle the same situation.
2: Please list 3 Team Building initiatives and their basic instructions that you like to facilitate. Why do you prefer these specific activities?
3: Describe how you would arrive prepared for a 3 day tent-camping youth program in an unfamiliar course area.