Since 1967, The Pok-O-MacCready Outdoor Education Center has pursued excellence in our field through the four pillars of our educational philosophy – Teambuilding, Natural Science, Living History, and Wilderness Adventure. Each year, more than 50 schools bring groups to our center on the eastern edge of the beautiful Adirondack State Park. These groups come from all over the Northeast and Quebec. PMOEC is open for the duration of the school year (September through June) and offers programming for students from elementary age through the college level.
All instructors receive onsite training in our entire curriculum and are therefore expected to teach in all areas of our program. Work projects, including cleaning and manual labor, for property upkeep, curriculum design, and staff enrichment are an important part of the instructor position.
Pok-O-MacCready offers employment opportunities for 3-month positions for the Outdoor Education program, as well as 2-month positions for the Summer Camp program. Contract extension for continuous year-round employment is possible for qualified candidates.
Positions open for Fall 2019
Pay dependent on education and experience.
- room & board w/utilities, laundry facilities and internet access
- a fun environment in which to work, play, and socialize
- staff enrichment days, attendance to special programs and networking opportunities
- use of facilities and equipment during free time (e.g. rock climbing center, canoes, etc.)
- two (2) sick days per season (for all staff)
- eligibility for professional discount purchase programs including (but not limited to):
- Black Diamond
- Outdoor Research
- Outdoor Prolink
- Liberty Mountain Sports
Applicants must have:
- a Bachelors Degree in Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, Education, Outdoor Recreation or related fields. (However, those with college degrees in other fields and high marks should not hesitate to apply.)
- Experience teaching young people is a must for all but internship applicants.
- Candidates must be personable, energetic, be able to have fun while they work, be team players, hard workers, and have a strong desire to share their love of the outdoors.
- Basic first aid and CPR training required. WFR certification, Wilderness First Aid, or a comparable course is highly desired.
- Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, climbing, and wilderness trip leader skills preferred.
- Applicants must be physically fit, able to lead strenuous hikes and work long days in challenging weather conditions.
- All applicants must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Job offers are contingent on the results of a nation-wide criminal background check.