OUTDOOR EXPERIENTIAL EDUCATION PROGRAM INSTRUCTOR
Gateway Academy is a residential treatment program for young men, ages 13 - 17.
We are seeking individuals who are self starters, have excellent judgment and initiative, and can accept feedback. On-going training is provided.
Outdoor educators will provide youth with adventure based, outdoor experiences that promote gains in self-esteem, personal growth and leadership. All instruction is therapeutically driven and intended to meet the needs of our students and their families. Prior experience in a related field of work is strongly preferred.
Full-time, Part-time & PRN positions available
- Starting pay $10-12 per hour based upon professional experience
- OEE Schedule runs weekly, Fri-Sunday:
- FT OEE work 40 hours per week + benefits
- PT / PRN OEE could work 8-28 hours per week
- Provide youth with mentorship, life-skills role modeling and instruction.
- Supervision and advocacy for youth in line with program policy and procedures.
- Strong communication skills and ability to tailor instruction based upon student needs.
- Ability to maintain a safe, fun and intentional learning atmosphere for students.
- Maintain a positive attitude and atmosphere for both students and co-workers.
- Provide support to the Gateway Team in all aspects of indoor/outdoor programming.
- Hard-skills instruction of canyoneering, rafting, rock climbing, skiing, and snowboarding.
- Responsible driver for program youth and employees.
- Provide youth with basic first-aid, medical and field-injury assessment.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must possess a current and valid driver’s license.
- Must maintain all required certifications such as: (CPR/first aid, food handlers)
- Able to lift over 25 lbs.
- Able to safely facilitate outdoor activities with sound judgment and precision.
- Able to work year-round, including some holidays.
- Must be a collaborative team player with an eagerness to grow professionally.
- Previous professional experience in outdoor wilderness therapy, outdoor education, youth care, and/or residential treatment.
- Attend (6) or more multi-day educational youth trips throughout the year.
- Able to make a 1 yr. minimum time commitment.
- Must pass a background check.
- College level education is preferred but not required.
Applicants must be proficient in (1 or more) of the following:
- Rock Climbing
- Technical Canyoneering
- White Water Rafting
- Skiing /Snowboarding
**ELIGIBILITY FOR THIS POSITION REQUIRES THE PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEE TO:
*Be at least 21 years old
*Be able to pass a background check
* Have a clean driving record