Outdoor Leader - Spring / Summer 2020
Outdoor Leaders create the magic at WI, staffing all events from single to multi-day adventures for adults, youth, and families of all backgrounds and abilities. Most extended trips are 3-12 days in duration. We also conduct hundreds of local day trips in other cities across the United States via Canoemobile. Our activities on these trips range from canoeing, kayaking, hiking, and land-based educational programming.
The primary responsibility of Outdoor Leaders is to serve participants and ensure the safety, quality and cost-effectiveness of WI experiences. Outdoor Leaders are responsible for the lives and well being of WI participants throughout a WI adventure. Life as a WI Outdoor Leader can be fun, exciting, and incredibly rewarding, but it is also a tremendous amount of responsibility and it can involve a lot of hard and challenging work.
• Provide excellent leadership for adults, youth and families.
• Using effective judgment and decision making regarding trip implementation.
• Embrace a “servant leadership” ethic that places the participant first.
• Assess participant ability and expectations to safely and effectively meet their needs.
• Provide a high level of customer service for all participants.
• Effectively communicate WI policies and procedures to participants.
• Proficiently perform activities conducted on WI trips including cooking, canoeing, hiking, camping, etc.
• Provide emergency first aid and conduct and/or assist in back-country medical issues including evacuations.
• Work with logistics staff to pack-in and pack-out gear and food.
• Care for equipment while in the back country.
• Complete post trip paperwork including evaluations.
• Safely drive a 15-passenger van pulling a loaded trailer in all weather and road conditions.
Applications are accepted year round. We do most of our interviewing and hiring between November 1st and March 1st, but we do review applicants at other times of the year. Typically, once we initiate an interview we will conclude the whole process within 2-3 weeks. Some leaders come with extensive experience leading and working with people of varying backgrounds and abilities. We like to hire leaders that have a variety of backgrounds, just like our participants. The one thing that all WI leaders have in common is that they all come to WI for the mission and the people.