Outdoors Rx Program Coordinator
Location: Waltham, Framingham and Boston, MA
Reports to: Outdoors Rx Director
Summary Description: The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), America's oldest conservation, education and recreation organization, is seeking a Program Coordinator to support our Outdoors Rx MetroWest site and oversee program communication and outreach.
Based on the significant research showing that spending time in nature can improve physical, emotional and mental health, Outdoors Rx helps residents adopt healthier, more active lifestyles by reducing the most common barriers to the outdoors – cost, access, information and equipment. Established in 2013, Outdoors Rx offers programs for families with children ages 0-13 in the Greater Boston communities of Chelsea, Revere, East Boston, Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury, Waltham and Framingham.
As the Program Coordinator, you will work with our medical and community partners to provide families with outdoor activities by encouraging participation in fun, local programs. This includes program administration and logistics and direct field instruction with youth and families. Additionally, the Program Coordinator will support the communications and outreach efforts of the Outdoors Rx team.
- Lead introductory family based outdoor programs in local green spaces.
- Communicate, engage, follow-up and provide support to participants.
- Facilitate program logistics and market the programs to internal and external users.
- Communicate with Outdoors Rx medical and community program partners.
- Develop partnerships with local nonprofits, schools and other like-minded organizations.
- Assist in the creation of an overall vision and long term plan to ensure program sustainability.
- Seek new outreach and marketing avenues within target community.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of programs and prepare program summary reports as needed.
- Travel to and from AMC Headquarters and Outdoors Rx communities as needed.
Communication and Outreach:
- Support the marketing, communication and outreach needs of the Outdoors Rx team.
- Maintain brand consistency and quality in external communications.
- Manage and grow Outdoors Rx social media presence.
- Collect and organize program stories, quotes and photos.
- Encourage family participation by posting programs from all regions on community listservs, websites, Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- Write and send timely and engaging family and partner emails.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience with community engagement.
- Experience facilitating family programs.
- Strong interest in working with people from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work one weekend day and occasional evenings.
- Ability to carry up to 15+ pounds of hiking equipment with ease.
- Must have own reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Wilderness First Aid and CPR (can be obtained upon hire).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated experience in program and partnership management.
- Spanish language proficiency (or other language skills).
- Knowledge of Waltham and Framingham neighborhoods and parks.
Employee Benefits: In addition to a 30% discount on all merchandise sold at AMC Destinations, access to various Pro Deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates and a one-year AMC membership, year round employees are also eligible for...
- Group health plan with generous employer contribution.
- Group life and AD&D insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Long term disability insurance, 100 percent employer paid.
- Retirement plan with matching contributions.
- Paid vacation time, 20 days.
- Paid sick time, 10 days.
- Paid holidays, 13 days.
- 10 free nights for you and your immediately family members at AMC Destinations.
To Apply: Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!