Professional Naturalist Fellowship
Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center is a private, non-profit, accredited school that empowers people to care for the earth and each other. As one of 12 participants in the year-long fellowship, naturalists develop teaching, interpretive, and public relations techniques and additional skills related to residential environmental education. Naturalists are exposed to a wide variety of audiences and classes. Learning is accomplished through direct teaching experience guided by supportive staff, professional workshops, and a series of observations and evaluations.
Duration: 12 months, starting mid-August 2017
Hours: Full Time, including rotating evenings and weekends
- Room and board for the duration of the fellowship
- $850 monthly stipend and paid vacation
- Paid participation in professional development opportunities
- Option of earning a Certificate in Environmental Education from Hamline University and becoming a Certified Interpretive Guide through the National Association for Interpretation
- Attendance at two-week training period
- Coordinate and lead programs for visiting groups through acting as a liaison for Eagle Bluff
- Teach environmental and outdoor education classes from Eagle Bluff curriculum
- Attend staff meetings, ongoing naturalist training seminars, and other professional workshops
- Assistance with program development, and other areas as needed by a growing, non-profit organization
- B.A. or B.S. degree, related field preferred
- Ability to live on-site in a dormitory-like setting
- Experience working with children
- High level of self-motivation and enthusiasm; an eagerness and willingness to learn
- Current CPR and Standard First Aid certification
- Comfortable in moving water, able to hike long distances, and willing to operate and participate in high ropes courses and rock climbing wall
- Related experience as a naturalist, interpreter, camp counselor, trip leader, or other leadership roles is a plus, but not required
The Application Process:
Complete and submit the online application (link: goo.gl/4p5Uwa ) and submit via email to [email protected]: resumé, three references (name, address, phone number, and email address for each), and most current college transcript.
Interviews begin in January and continue until positions are filled. Applicants will be contacted regarding an interview as soon as the Fellowship Coordinator receives all application materials.
Applications are accepted year-round and kept on an active waiting list for one year.