The Program Director will work closely with the Director in all aspects of programming: Pre and post program logistics, program design, leading and implementing programs from 1-18 days in length. The employment runs from Early March (pre- programming planning and prep) - Early November (post season break down and debrief). Salary is $12,000 - $17,000 DOE.
Our Program season runs from early April - late October. In the Spring and Fall we will be custom designing outdoor programs for school groups of 14-22 children, usually 2 to 3 days long. IN the Summer we will have sessions that range in length from 6 - 18 days long with around 20 kids per session. Each summer session is different as we will be working with all different ages and kids from different backgrounds. Some sessions work with inner city youth at risk and focus on outdoor basics and community development. Others others are very skill intensive and run a broad spectrum of outdoor adventure and immersion. We meet the kids where they are at . . .and then grow with them! There is usually around 70-80 program days and 25 "Administrative days" between April 10 - October 30.
Required Skills & Certifications:
- College degree in related field (i.e. outdoor leadership, wilderness therapy, community counseling, recreation management) or equivalent life experience
- Experience working with “youth at risk”
- at least three years experience as an Outdoor Leader (or similar field)
- Community minded, forward thinking, positive problem solving mentality with a high emphasis on clear communication
- High level of comfort and competence in an outdoor setting - front country rustic and backcountry skills
- Solid group management and a comfort facilitating different types of groups
- Administrative and office skills (good organization, communication, computer literacy, and team leadership)
- Minimum 1st aid training at a level of WFR (Wilderness First Responder) & CPR
- Basic knowledge of tool use and a comfort "working with your hands"
- Willingness and ability to do manual labor (grounds maintenance).
Position is Available until filled. There is room for advancement and more responsibility at Buffalo Cove if you are a great fit! We would love to grow this into a full time position.