Combining incredible adventure leadership programs with environmental education and fantastic recreational activities,Berkshire Outdoor Center is home to the largest and most comprehensive educational challenge course in the northeastern United States, with over 50 low and high ropes elements across all of their courses. This is your chance to work with some top-notch outdoor educators!
The BOC Program Instructor (PI) is responsible for leading activities in the fields of outdoor education, leadership development, teambuilding and adventure recreation. Additionally, PIs are responsible for leading large group activities, evening programs and supervised check-in, check-out, arrival and departure procedures. Additionally, PIs perform routine cleaning and dish duties. Occasionally, PIs are responsible for overnight supervision of guests and/or as hosts of groups.
We are now hiring for all seasons. Multi-season employment is available!
For more information and a detailed job description, visit bccymca.org/instructor or review the detailed job description below:
The Program Instructor must:
- Have a commitment to the mission and vision of BCCYMCA and the goals of Berkshire Outdoor Center.
- Have the capability to teach outdoor education and leadership to a diverse audience from a range of group types.
- Have the ability to supervise children of varying ages, abilities and backgrounds safely.
- Have the desire to perform routine cleaning and dish duty enthusiastically, safely, quickly and effectively.
- Have the ability to respond quickly and effectively to all emergencies.
Additional (Preferred) Qualifications:
- Experience working with children in an outdoor education setting
- Teambuilding & Challenge Course experience, including belay experience.
- Environmental education teaching experience – including science & ecology teaching experience
- Waterfront, boating, canoeing, kayaking instructional experience
- Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid
- Winter sports experience - Cross-Country Skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating
- Knowledge of local ecosystems.
- Teach outdoor education and environmental education to youth and adults.
- Teach leadership skills, service-learning skills and adventure recreation skills to youth and adults.
- Supervise indoor and outdoor activities safely.
- Cleaning – including sweeping, mopping, trash removal and dishes. Other cleaning as assigned.
- Act as the on-call host of specified groups.
- Provide occasional after-hours supervision.
- Function as an effective team member; be flexible with schedule changes and customer needs
- Serve as a senior mentor (and role model) to new Program Instructors
- Assist in training other staff in areas of expertise
- Keep inventories of BOC stock and equipment
- Participate in trainings, meetings and other professional development opportunities
- Be alert to new program opportunities & be responsive to evaluations, participate in curriculum review & development
Effect on end Results:
- Each group visiting BOC will experience consistent and high quality customer service.
- All programs administered by BOC will be conducted in a fun, safe and age appropriate manner.
- Staff morale and retention will be consistently high.
- Weekly group evaluations will meet defined expectations
We have a few positions remaining on our 1 season and 4 season teams.
Please visit https://www.bccymca.org/boc/home/employment/positions-available/program-... review the information. If you are qualified, click application at the bottom of the page. Follow all prompts until you have successfully completed your online application.