Program Instructor YMCA Camp Orkila
Located on one of the beaches of Orcas Island in the Puget Sound 75 miles north of Seattle, YMCA Camp Orkila offers 285 acres of beautiful forest, marine, and freshwater environments, as well as a salmon hatchery, Marine Education Center with 18,000 gallon salt water aquarium, new 1000-foot zipline, several challenge courses, and large organic garden.
Staff members will facilitate two programs every week: The Environmental Education program, which caters to elementary and middle school groups and occurs on the weekdays, and the Weekend Family Camp program, which caters to parent/child YMCA groups from the Seattle area and occurs on the weekends.
Responsibilities include teaching classes in marine / aquatic science, terrestrial ecology, earth science, and facilitating group development and challenge course activities. You will work at least two evenings a week running evening programs. All staff will work 5 days a week which will include at least one weekend day facilitating recreation activities for family camp and retreat programs. Camp staff also assist with many other camp operations, including cleaning, kitchen work, and maintenance projects.
Check out this link for more information about the position: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bLiEe9veam-z630LM7iT2u_k1V4hHeGI/view?usp=sharing
- Have previous experience working with youth
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
- Current Red Cross First Aid and CPR certifications.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Compensation of $65-70 per day DOE plus housing and meals.
- Opportunities to use our Orkila sea kayaks (after proper training).
- 3 week in-depth training of challenge course and science curriculum.
- Access to plant and harvest in our large organic garden.
- Optional discounted WFR training.
- Caring, fun, adventurous, and experienced co-workers!