River Camp Aquatics Director/ Canoe Trip Leader
River Camp is seeking someone who is enthusiastic about introducing kids to the fun of exploring and learning about the outdoors by canoe!
Co-lead sessions with veteran River Camp leader/canoeing instructor. Responsible for supervision of aquatic activities and share responsibility for developing and implementing program activities. Sessions for younger children include stories, crafts and canoe games, while sessions for older children include field investigations, challenge games, and overnight camping (more advanced sessions require competence paddling class 2 white water). This position also requires transporting campers to various locations by vehicle. Position may be subdivided based on skill set of applicants. Please do apply if your skill set matches any of the above. This position is a great job for college students studying outdoor education/recreation or environmental science. It also works very well for teachers who want to pick up extra work during the summer! As many as 6 weeks possible for the right candidate, but will consider a minimum commitment of 2 sessions. Please email any materials that you think will help us get to know you better including your resume and a cover letter.
ABOUT RIVER CAMP
River Camp, operated by Nashoba Paddler LLC, is an expedition-based canoeing camp focused on combining fun, paddling instruction, and environmental education. It is a primarily a day camp, offering one-week sessions (some with overnights), each for a different age group, ages 6-17 yrs., with a maximum of fourteen campers per session. Session hours and activities vary by age group, ranging from three mornings per week for the youngest children to a trip camp session of five days on even years for the oldest children. Campers travel to different paddling locations each day, learning about the environment while developing their canoeing skills. For more information, please visit our website, www.nashobapaddler.com.
- Must be at least 21 years old and have experience supervising water activities
- Must have or obtain certifications in lifeguarding, CPR, and first aid (will train).
- Must have prior experience and enjoy working with children, teaching preferred.
- Must be an experienced canoeist, instructor certification a plus. Some sessions require white water canoeing competence on up to class 2.
- Must have good driver record. Experience driving a canoe trailer helpful, but not necessary.
- Must be able to load canoes on a trailer and canoe up to 12 miles in a day.
- Must have a love for the natural world and enjoy being outdoors all day.
- Must enjoy tent camping. Some sessions involve canoe-camping.
- Environmental science background a plus.
- Must pass criminal and sex offender background checks
- $6000 (If you are applying for less than 6 weeks, salary varies per session)
- Six camp weeks- (Camp runs July 9- Aug 17)
- Plus training/orientation and camp wrap-up.
- Cost of certifications (on your own time) reimbursed by Nashoba Paddler (restrictions apply)
- Housing possible or will assist finding housing
- Free use of boats and gear (some restrictions apply)
- May be possible to expand position to include Nashoba Paddler rental employment in May- October and per diem River Classroom school guiding in May/June and Sept./Oct.