North Carolina River Specialist
Reports To: Whitewater Program Manager
FLSA Status: Seasonal Exempt
Location: Asheville, NC
Last Updated: 8/23/16
Founded in 1967, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is a charter member of the leading outdoor education network in the world. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of south Florida to the peaks of South America, deliver our mission to change lives through challenge and discovery.
North Carolina Outward Bound River Specialists support extended wilderness courses in delivering professional whitewater paddling instruction. River Specialists will have experience managing groups on moving water, teaching tandem and solo canoe skills on class I-III Rivers, and hold ACA level 4 certification in tandem and solo whitewater canoeing as well as Swiftwater Rescue training.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Lead River Staff in logistical support of river programs
- Deliver quality river instructional days to NCOBS staff and students
- Help monitor, maintain and repair all river inventory, including river fleet vehicles and trailers
- Ensure paddling programs adhere to National and NCOBS risk management policies, procedures, and Local operating policies and procedures
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds and participate in vigorous to moderate physical activity including but not limited to paddling and camping in the field
- Irregular work hours as necessary
- ACA Level 4 instructor or equivalent
- Swiftwater Rescue training
- Current CPR and WFR certifications
- Personal experience paddling whitewater
- Ability to work under stressful circumstances
- Cooperative attitude and adaptable
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive rate depending on experience
Access to professional development funding
Access to seasonal benefits program
Housing available for applicable staff
Most of our hiring is done between October and January for work that begins the following Spring. Hiring may also be done on a rolling basis depending on the needs of the school.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.