Founded in 1967, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is a charter member of the leading outdoor education network in the world. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of south Florida to the peaks of South America, deliver our mission to change lives through challenge and discovery.
North Carolina Outward Bound River Specialists support extended wilderness courses in delivering professional whitewater paddling instruction. River Specialists will have experience managing groups on moving water, teaching tandem and solo canoe skills on class I-III Rivers, hold an ACA level 4 certification in tandem and solo whitewater canoeing, and have Swiftwater Rescue training.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Lead River Staff in logistical support of river programs.
- Deliver quality river instructional days to NCOBS staff and students.
- Help monitor, maintain and repair all river inventory, including river fleet vehicles and trailers.
- Ensure paddling programs adhere to National and NCOBS risk-management policies and procedures.
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds and participate in vigorous to moderate physical activity, including but not limited to:
- Sufficiently fit to paddle and manage students in whitewater, including aiding in rescues.
- Ability to lift and load a tandem canoe onto a trailer with assistance.
- Camping in the field for up to 4 nights at a time. (Usually within cell-service)
- Irregular work hours as necessary.
- ACA Level 4 Whitewater Canoe Instructor certification or equivalent.
- Swiftwater Rescue Training.
- Current CPR and WFR certifications.
- Personal experience and comfort paddling whitewater at or above Class lll.
- Ability to work under stressful circumstances.
- Cooperative attitude and adaptable.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Per-diem rate based on NCOBS pay matrix. Prior experience awarded with commensurate pay. ($80-$142 /day).
- Food stipend for time of contracted work agreement.
- Access to seasonal staff benefits. (Professional development funds, pro-deal purchasing program, etc.)
- Housing for applicable staff during time of contract. Staff who work multiple river-blocks in succession will be considered for this benefit.
- Opportunity to work for NCOBS with a less committing work schedule. This is a great summer position for qualified candidates who may have other careers.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.
- Applicants should apply at: River Specialist Application.
- Scroll to the bottom of the web page and select Apply to this Position.
- Fill in all of the applicable fields and be sure to upload your cover letter, resume, and technical whitewater log.
- For a blank template of a technical whitewater log, please contact: [email protected].
- Qualified candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.
- Applications are due by April 15th, 2018.
- Hiring will occur on a rolling basis.