Rock Climbing Specialist
Founded in 1967, North Carolina Outward Bound School (NCOBS) is a charter member of the leading outdoor education network in the world. Our wilderness courses, from the mountains of North Carolina to the shores of south Florida to the peaks of South America, deliver our mission to change lives through challenge and discovery.
Climbing Specialists are responsible for the planning and delivery of climbing and ropes course activities to facilitate the delivery of the NCOBS mission. Climbing specialists report directly to the Climbing Program Manager (CPM) and/or the Resident Climbing Specialist (RCS).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work in conjunction with instructional staff to plan and facilitate safe and educational climbing and ropes course activities.
- Facilitate climbing days that range from bottom-belayed top ropes to multi-pitch ascents.
- Plan and provide professional development opportunities for field staff.
- Complete all paperwork thoroughly and in a timely manner.
- Link climbing activities to the OB mission.
- Work with CPM/RCS on projects related to the climbing program.
- Help manage and maintain the equipment and supplies of the climbing program.
- Stay current with industry associations and standards.
- Provide support in additional tasks as necessary.
- Attend Climber Staff Training annually.
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds and participate in vigorous to moderate physical activity including but not limited to:
- Lead climb up to 5.8.
- Camp in the field.
- Assist in rescues and carry-outs.
- Hike with a 50-pound pack.
- Irregular work hours as necessary.
- Maintains and has submitted a climbing log that indicates the following:
- 40 personal climbing days.
- 20 professional climbing days.
- 20 routes on trad/placed protection and/or non-bolted anchors.
- 30 multi pitch routes.
- 10 or more of the above routes are at the 5.8 level or greater.
- Must attend Climber Staff Training (April/June) and complete the Climber Staff Check-Off process:
- Onsite a 5.8 pitch climb with placed protection in a confident style.
- Proficiently guide 2 students up a multi-pitch climb.
- Successfully perform the AMGA “Rock Rescue 50-minute Drill”
- AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Certification or equivalent experience required. Higher level certification (AMGA Rock Instructor or Rock Guide, etc.) preferred.
- Current CPR and WFR certifications.
- Ability to effectively problem-solve and remain calm during stressful circumstances.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to adapt to meet the needs of our students and staff.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Per-diem pay rate based on NCOBS pay matrix ($80-$142 /day). Prior experience awarded with commensurate pay.
- Current NCOBS staff receive 100 field credit bonus in the NCOBS pay matrix.
- Room and Board during time of work contract:
- Living quarters are located at one of our two base camps in the Pisgah National Forest. (Table Rock Mountain, NC & Cedar Rock Mountain, NC) Each base offers a communal kitchen, dining area, and community space with various recreational activities available. Most staff live in cabins with 1 to 3 other roommates. A bathhouse, laundry facilities, and Wi-Fi are available at each base.
- Food is provided during your contracted work agreement. On contracted work days, dinner is prepared by a cook. Breakfast and lunch food items are always available for staff to prepare for them self.
- Access to seasonal staff benefits. (i.e. Professional development funds, pro-deal purchasing program, etc.)
- Opportunity to build an advanced, technical skill set with an internationally recognized organization.
- Part-time position that can be interwoven into another schedule.
North Carolina Outward Bound School prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable local, state or federal law. NCOBS promotes respect for all people, and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.
- Please visit: Climbing Specialist Application.
- Scroll to the bottom of the web page and select Apply to this Position.
- Fill in all of the applicable fields and upload a cover letter, resume, and technical climbing log.
- Include three references with you resume.
- For a blank template of a climbing log, please contact: [email protected].
- Applications are due by March 31, 2018.
- Qualified candidates will be contacted to set up an interview.
- Hiring will occur on a rolling basis.