Santiam River Whitewater Manager
Request for Resumes/Proposals– Santiam River Manager
Northwest River Guides LLC – Mill City, OR
Northwest River Guides LLC is a cutting edge paddling company that runs a whitewater rafting / kayaking adventure operation out of the Independent Press Building in Mill City Oregon. This small rural town is at the foothills of the Santiam State Forest on one side, and the Opal Creek Wilderness (20,000 acres of federally protected forest with 1000 year old cedar trees) on the other. Our river operation focus’ on a 7 mile class II-III section of whitewater above, and a 5-8 mile class I-II+ section of whitewater below our shop which is directly across from Mill City Falls Park (class 3 rapid) and steps from the historic “old railroad” walking bridge. We mainly run guided raft and inflatable kayak trips, kayak lessons, and rentals out of this location. We are neighbors with the Santiam Canyon Heritage Society and the Canyon Museum and we will soon have a boutique hotel and restaurant next door (currently under construction). There is a fun class III-IV whitewater section “Niagara” above the class II-III section which can be a fun after work run if you have the skills. We are located in the vicinity of world class canyons for canyoneering, and trails with 360 degree views of Mt. Jefferson, Mt Bachelor, Mt. Hood, the Three Sisters, Mt Washington and 3 Fingered Jack, and miles of wilderness all around.
We are looking for a committed whitewater professional with at least 3 years of class III rafting experience and whitewater kayak experience is a plus (A competent couple could work out well) for the 2018 season. Current relevant certifications are a plus (SW rescue, WFR, WAFA, ACA, IRF etc.). This is our fifth year in the Santiam Canyon, and we are looking for someone to take this business to the next level. Our season requires a solid six-month commitment April-September with part time work in the shoulder months.
- Guide rafting / kayak trips as necessary
- Must be able to lift 100 lb. rafts. & proficiency with tie down methods on racks and trailers
- Drive and run shuttle when necessary
- Must be comfortable working independently
- Strong interpersonal skills able to work with rural Oregon locals and help mentor canyon youth
- Weekend work takes precedence (days off are usually mid week)
- Handle back office functions with Oregon City staff (phone call, reservations, retail sales, check-in customers, etc.)
- Implement new programming / sales / marketing initiatives
- Work closely with owner on operational and logistical concerns (opportunity for future growth and promotion.)
Compensation / perks:
-Free room / utilities in our 4000 sq ft. building
-Access to rafting / kayak equipment for personal use
-Piece Meal work / contracted @ $15-$18/hr (2-3 days / week in the shoulder season MAR-APR and OCT, and 3-6 days / week in the peak season MAY-SEP) with upside potential of $1200-$2500/month+ for qualified applicants.
Other helpful (but not required) skills include:
-internet / phone marketing / sales skills
-Photography / videography skills
- Opportunity for partial company ownership if deemed a good fit.
- Opportunity for future growth and promotion
- Potential for full time year round contract/employment
Deadline to apply 1/31/17. Send letters of interest and resume to [email protected]
Please send a cover letter and resume to Kurt