Science Adventure School - Field Staff
The Science Adventure School is a 4-day, 3-night program serving 6th grade students in West Virginia. Our goal is to integrate high quality, engaging, adventure sports-driven science and environmental curriculum with experiential education and student development. Field Staff will play a crucial role in meeting that goal by guiding student groups for the duration of the week and facilitating activities and experiences. This position is by application only.
Location: Summit Bechtel Reserve, Glen Jean, WV
Type: Seasonal (August – October)
Responsibilities and Duties:
Field Staff will be expected to:
- Work in pairs to lead groups of 12-15 students. Each group will also have one public school teacher and one mentor student during some weeks.
- Safely manage their groups to mitigate the emotional and physical risks during adventure activities (zip-lining, rock climbing, archery, etc.) as well as facilitated experiential activities (low ropes courses, initiatives, discussions).
- Be high-energy, outgoing, and responsible for engaging students in activities throughout the week.
- Facilitate daily processing activities and discussions.
- Lead games, low ropes course activities, and portable initiatives throughout the week.
- Take initiative to help groups manage time, risk, travel around the site, and perform any other duties or assistance to students, teachers, or other staff to insure success of the program. You and your partner will serve as your one group’s guide for four days.
- Maintain positive attitude, professional language, well kempt appearance, appropriate and professional behavior, and a willingness to take initiative.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
The applicant must, at a minimum, have the following experience/qualification:
- Post-Secondary Education or Certifications (i.e., college degree or ACCT certification) and/or equivalent experience
- Be comfortable and physically able to thrive in an outdoor/camp setting.
- The ability to pass a federal background check.
- Good risk management, communication, time-management, group management, and decision-making skills. These are a must!
- Outgoing and friendly personality with the ability to connect and communicate effectively with youth.
- Be able to lift 50 pounds and participate in moderate physical activity including but not limited to climbing, hiking, and camping.
- Be happy to work irregular and long hours during the programming days (Tuesday-Friday)
The following qualifications are preferred, but are not mandatory:
- One-year experience working as an outdoor or experiential educator
- Hold a First Aid, WFA, or WFR and CPR certification
- Experience with youth and/or ESTEM schools and camps
- Experience/familiarity with belaying/rappelling/rock climbin
Time Commitment: The Science Adventure School will begin staff training the week of August 12th. We expect that you will be available to work with us through October 5th with minimal time off throughout those eight weeks. Staff will be expected to be on campus Monday-Friday with weekends off. This means eight consecutive weeks of work (with weekends off). Although sufficient breaks will be scheduled throughout the week, expect to be with your groups of students for the majority of the day Tuesday morning through Friday afternoon.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive per diem starting at $100/day and up to $160/day
- Additional pay will be allotted as per SAS pay matrix with increases for education, experience, and/or relevant certifications.
- Lodging in the form of platform/canvas tents will be provided for the duration of contract (including weekends and off-days).
- Staff will have access to the dining hall for all meals (including weekends and off-days).
- All professional training will be paid and provided for free.
- Laundry, showers, and internet will be available on site.
Follow the link below to fill out the application and upload your resume and cover letter. Well qualified applicants can expect to hear back from our team within seven days of application submission. We're excited to receive your application! https://wvu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_em4nbrWO203lhmB
There are 12 Field Staff positions open. Qualified applicants will be hired on a rolling basis until all positions are filled and can expect to hear from our team within 7 days of application submission.
To view more about the position and learn about Science Adventure School, please visit: https://scienceadventureschool.wvu.edu/get-involved/jobs
If you are ready to apply, complete the application and submit your resume, experience log (if relevant), and cover letter by visiting: https://wvu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_em4nbrWO203lhmB