Seasonal Course Director - $500 Bonus!
Do you believe in the power of wild places?
Nestled in the heart of Appalachia lies Experience Learning, a 400-acre high preserve located just below the base of the highest mountain in West Virginia, Spruce Knob. With minimal trail systems and a million acres of National Forest, we will lead participants on adventures they never knew possible. Become a part of our WILD team and provide others the opportunity to unplug and get back outside into their natural world.
Want to see where this WILD place exists and who we are? Click here!
Beyond the classroom education is at the core of Experience Learning programs. We believe providing students collaborative learning opportunities through real outdoor adventure to be one of the best ways to build confidence and discover potential. Engage. Discover. Connect.
Engage – Every program focuses on engaging participants in meaningful ways. This enables participants to share responsibility while giving them opportunities to develop leadership and decision-making skills.
Discover – Authentic opportunities are integral to our programs. These allow for discovering ones own potential, interests, new skills and knowledge, and the wonders of the natural world.
Connect – Meaningful experiences are based on connections. In a world where it is easy to plug-in to a global world, we emphasize the importance of an unplugged world; one that focuses on connections to one another and the natural world.
Location: Circleville, WV
Length of Employment: August 23 – October 31, 2021
Deadline: We hire on a rolling basis – apply now!
Supervisor: Managing Director
Overview: Experience Learning is seeking a Course Director to plan and implement wilderness-based school courses at our 2 campuses in the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia.
Based at the remote Spruce Knob Mountain Center, Course Directors manage the direct implementation of wilderness-based field courses. These programs help people become confident, competent individuals with a clear vision of their responsibilities and potential for improving the human condition and the natural world.
Our courses typically serve students in 5th-12th grade, from schools throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Courses include 1-2 day residential programs on one of our campuses, 1-2 day field courses in local communities, 4-8 day field courses in the nearby national forest, and a variety of off-site courses in wild spaces throughout the Mid-Atlantic region, including the Appalachian Trail.
- At the beginning of the season, serve as an instructor on wilderness-based field courses in order to thoroughly understand program flow
- Work with the Program Manager to plan course schedules, menus, expectations, and logistics within budget
- Supervise a team of 4-6 Field Instructors
- Provide Field Instructors with necessary curriculum, development opportunities, and feedback
- Lead pre-course briefings and post-course debriefings with Instructors
- Manage all program logistics during course duration, including response to emergent and non-emergent course needs, program materials, and resource needs
- Complete all course related paperwork in a timely and efficient manner
- Step in for sick/injured Instructors, cooks, and on-call staff as needed
- Assist with training Field Instructors
- Create and strengthen relationships with area schools through positive and professional interactions
- BA/BS in relevant field
- 1-2 years of field experience in experiential education, outdoor recreation, environmental education, summer camp, classroom teaching, or related field
- 1 year of experience managing programs and supervising staff
- Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR
- Effective communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in the outdoors, especially in inclement weather
- Desire to protect, conserve, and promote mountain ecosystems
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends
- Positive attitude and unassailable work ethic
- Desire to live in a remote place with an outstanding community of outdoor professionals and to work hard to make positive change in our world
- Starting daily compensation rate: $88.00 - $115+/day based on the merit-based scale
- See the Merit Based Pay tab to see what pay range you might fall in!
- $500 end of season bonus
- Housing provided
- 1 day of health leave per month worked
- Access to pro deals
- Opportunities for organizational advancement