Secondary Science Teacher
Realms of Inquiry http://www.realmsofinquiry.org is a private non-profit school in the heart of the Salt Lake Valley offering an accredited program for bright and gifted, intellectually creative students in grades 7 through 12.
With an experiential-learning school that engages students through challenging academics and collaborative curricula, arts, fieldwork, wilderness adventure, and international travel, Realms enables each student to design a program tailored to his or her particular interests and learning style.
Realms is small by design, with an enrollment cap of 40 students and 4 full time faculty.
The 2017-2018 school year marks Realms 45th year. Realms works collaboratively with the American International School of Utah (AISU) http://aisutah.org in a unique partnership. AISU is a public charter school offering a tuition-free education for all Utah students and an opportunity for students from all over the world to participate in a dynamic global learning community. Realms continues to operate as an autonomous school, adhering to its historic mission and retaining the small-school approach that has served its students well for nearly half a century, but operates on AISU's state of the art campus, giving its students access to a broader community of learners and an expanded array of resources and enrichment programs.
Realms' unique programs include international trips and multi-day outdoor adventures that take advantage of Salt Lake City's spectacular setting in the beautiful Wasatch Valley. Salt Lake City is a vibrant metropolis offering a great quality of life at an affordable cost. City residents enjoy easy access to the natural beauty of the state, which includes five national parks (Zion, Canyonlands, Arches, Capital Reef, and Bryce Canyon), 42 state parks, and seven world-class ski resorts within minutes of the city.
Realms is seeking an effective and experienced teacher. As a cooperative school, Realms places a premium on collaboration amongst our experienced and dedicated teaching and administrative staff. Our ideal candidate would welcome input and consensus building. He or she will be committed to preserving and strengthening Realms' proven approach to educating gifted and talented students, including underachieving gifted, while taking responsibility for exploring innovative approaches to pedagogy that will keep Realms at the forefront of middle and high school education.
• Prepare and deliver hands-on experiential and inquiry based lessons
• Teach and lead a 2-3 week international trip and 3 week -long wilderness trips each year
• Maintain a physically and emotionally safe environment for students
• Facilitate team and community building activities
• Support collaboration with AISU
• Commitment to project based/expeditionary learning approach
• Capability to resolve conflicts and make decisions, then act upon them
• Effective communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills
• Teaching experience and current Utah education certificate in Science, or commitment to licensure
• Willingness to take on non-traditional opportunities for teaching
• Ability to differentiate instruction with traditionally gifted students and students with diverse learning styles and challenges
• Valid Utah driver's license and ability to drive a van with 9 students safely
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, some weekends, and multi-day trips
• Positive attitude and exemplary work ethic
• Capacity to confidently lead groups in a wilderness setting following Leave No Trace practices