Student Services Associate
The Student Services Associate provides an essential role within the Student Services Team. Supervised by the Director of Student Services, this position is responsible for medically screening applicants for course, preparing incoming students for their Outward Bound experience and managing student data. Cultural humility, an inclusive approach to interpersonal interactions and a strengths-based perspective are essential to success in this role. Strong data management, attention to detail and the ability to sensitively discuss confidential information with a variety of stakeholders is also required. If you are looking to have a direct impact on getting students on course to change their lives through challenge and discovery, then this could be the perfect role for you!
Who You Are:
Outward Bound California does not expect every applicant to have every skill and qualification listed here, and we are committed to the professional development of our employees. A strong candidate who is interested in growing and learning in this role will possess at least 75% of the following qualifications. If this is you, then we strongly encourage you to submit an application for consideration.
- Passionate about OBCA’s mission
- Extremely detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks successfully within tight timelines
- Able and willing to make a commitment of at least two years in the role at OBCA
- Creative problem-solver
- Very strong and effective communicator, both written and oral
- Able to work both collaboratively and independently
- Able to view applicants from a strengths-based perspective and develop positive relationships with diverse populations of students and their support systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel), Adobe Acrobat Pro, and G Suite apps (Gmail and Google Docs, Meet, Drive, and Calendar)
- Willing to authorize a criminal background check
- Comfortable sitting or standing at a desk for majority of the day
Bonus if you…
Are fluent in Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin
Have experience in the medical data management field
Have Salesforce or other database experience
The Student Services Associate is responsible for:
- Providing thoughtful, respectful and responsive customer service to applicants, enrolled students, family members and alumni.
- Executing precise data entry. This includes tracking student progress, managing data to ensure accuracy and interfacing with National enrollment staff as necessary.
- Assessing applicants’ health, psychological well-being, physical fitness, and motivation using assessment guidelines and screening tools. Conducting necessary follow-up with applicants, parents, health care providers and references to gather relevant information.
- Processing payments, transfers, cancellations and refunds in a timely manner while maintaining accurate information in our databases.
- Ensuring that materials communicated to our program team are accurate and complete, with thorough notes and relevant information on all students.
- Responding to questions and concerns from our program team about medical, behavioral, and motivational concerns before, during, and after course.
Compensation & Schedule
- This is a Full-Time (variable .75 - 1.0 of Full Time), Hourly, Non-Exempt position.
- Anticipated start date of January 6, 2020
- Starting pay range $18 - $22/hour, depending on experience
- OBCA offers a competitive benefits package, including comprehensive health insurance with generous employer contribution, long-term disability and life insurance, Flexible Spending Account, Employee Assistance Plan (EAP), Paid Time Off (PTO), paid holidays, and 401(k) plan with employer match
- Highly energetic and supportive work environment at a mission-driven organization
- Opportunities for professional development
- ProDeal, an opportunity to purchase outdoor gear at a discounted price
- Location for this position is flexible, though applicants need to be available for occasional travel to one or all of our base locations (San Francisco, Midpines, Joshua Tree)
- The Outward Bound California administrative offices are located in The Presidio in San Francisco, CA, minutes from the Golden Gate Bridge
- The basecamp consists of two buildings with offices, warehouse, and kitchen.