Summer Horse Adventure Leader
Spend your summer teaching what matters most at Camp Ondessonk. We are a non-profit, Catholic youth camp providing rustic, outdoor experiences in an amazing natural setting. Serving thousands of campers on our 983-acre property near the Shawnee National Forest, our Adventure Camp programs cultivate appreciation of nature by immersing campers in the outdoors. This position is responsible for the management, operation, and supervision of the horse camp programs (Introductory, ages 12-16) and horse adventure (Secondary, ages 13-16). They will plan, develop, and implement activities and backcountry camping in a manner that promotes safety, learning, and fun. Supervise two adventure support staff and act as unit leader for 10-12 campers. Horse experience, Western riding instruction, front and backcountry camping skills, and the ability to be with campers for extended periods of time on the trail are essential. Must be age 21+.
- Actively instruct campers in a safe and specific manner on horse and backcountry camping skills.
- Supervise all aspects of packing, managing and caring for packhorses, campers, and equipment.
- Train, supervise, and evaluate adventure staff in a positive manner.
- Manage campsites, horse care, and activities while in camp, on trail, and on overnight rides.
- Properly follow backcountry camping/trail guidelines, stressing low impact techniques.
- Ensure the health and safety of campers, staff members, and horses.
- Supervise and be with adventure campers at all times.
Applicant must be available for the entire range of employment. All staff get some evenings and one (1) 24-hour period off per week.