Summer Program Staff
As a counselor at Buffalo Cove you will be part of a dynamic 10 person “core-staff” that insures physical, emotional and spiritual safety of participants at all times during our summer programming. You will be responsible for one shelter, which sleeps 5-7 participants, while camp is in session. Shelters are single sex. You will also help monitor and support all camp participants while camp is in session. You will be required to help support skills and crafts activities and, depending on experience, lead your own activities. You will co-lead backcountry expeditions and help with facilitation of group games and initiatives. Sessions range from 6 – 18 days long with an average of 18 campers per session. We average 42 days of programming each summer plus a week of staff training. There is an average of 3 days off between each summer session.
We work with all types of children in our programs. Some of our sessions are designed for inner city youth at risk while other sessions are open to the general public. Our youngest campers are 8 years old and our oldest are 17. The vast majority of our campers are 11 – 15 years of age.
Basic Staff Criteria:
- All staff must exhibit passion for life, teaching and positive community interactions.
- All staff will undergo extensive background checks and a drug test.
- All staff must be at least 20 years of age
- All must undergo a personal interview
- First Aid and CPR certified
- Experienced in working with youth
Preferred staff criteria:
- Wilderness First Aid (WFR, W-EMT)
- 1 year of experience involved in outdoor education or other relevant experience.
- Well versed in fire, shelter and knife use.
- 20 accumulated days in the backcountry in multi-day stints on personal adventures.
Available until filled
Please email a letter of interest and your resume to supplied address