TREK - An 8-Month Gap Program
TREK GAP PROGRAM:
Program Overview: TREK is an eight-month program with an emphasis on personal and spiritual growth, outdoor adventure, and job experience in the hospitality industry. Participants will work a full-time seasonal job at Snow Mountain Ranch while regularly meeting with other TREK participants developing bonds of friendship and fellowship. Participants will experience faith and character development while gaining greater self-awareness and understanding. Guided by the Chaplains there will be weekly group meetings and small group meetings that encourage accountability, safe relationships, Bible study, thoughtful reflection, honest conversation and prayer. Retreats and special activities are also a part of this experience.
This program is designed for participants age 18-22 years old.
Program Date: August 10, 2020 - May 4, 2021
What Can Participants Expect to Gain? The development of a spiritual, personal, relational and practical foundations for life and leadership. Participants will also have gainful employment for eight months, lifelong friendships with people from around the world, and mountain recreation.
Important Information: Applications are open between November 15, 2019 - June 30, 2020. TREK is only accepting 26 participants this year, so make sure to turn in your application as soon as possible! Interviews begin January 15, 2020.
Please be aware, even if you're working in another department, most of our staff may work up to a few days each week in food service or housekeeping during September/October.
YMCA of the Rockies: The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round destination family resorts on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property. We hire year-round staff, plus hundreds of seasonal staff and college interns every year that want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located at 9,000 feet above sea level on 5,000 acres, 20 minutes away from Winter Park Resort, and about 30 minutes from Grand Lake and the western entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. In general, if you are a downhill/alpine/Nordic/cross country/back-country skier, snowboarder, or fat biker, you'll be happy at Snow Mountain Ranch, where we have over 100 km of Nordic skiing, mountain biking, and hiking trails on property. It's also the home of our Sled Dog team. It's usually sunny, as we're located on a high, wide plain of rolling hills looking at the Continental Divide. You'll walk a bit to go from building to building (bring warm layers and boots), and are about a 10-minute drive from the nearest town, but that's why our staff loves it! (Once Winter Park Resort opens, we run a daily shuttle to the mountain for our staff.)
TREK PARTICIPANT COMPENSATION:
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $240/week with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free WiFi and no bills)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days a week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop.
- Free Grand Passes for skiing at Winter Park Resort, Steamboat Springs, Copper Mountain, and Ski Granby Ranch, and for mountain biking, rock climbing, and golf during the summer.
- Discounted gear rentals for sports and outdoor recreation.
- Employee programming including free or discounted staff trips.
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges
Total Program Cost: $1250.00
- $50 non-refundable application fee (instructions for paying the application fee will be e-mailed to the applicant after they have completed the online application)
- $200 enrollment deposit due at time of acceptance into the program.
The enrollment deposit is refundable by these dates:
- $200 by 5/1/2020
- $150 by 6/1/2020
- $100 by 7/1/2020
- $50 by 8/1/2020
- After 8/1/2020, no refund is available.
$1,000 Program tuition due on 8/1/2020 OR $250 initial tuition payment due 8/10/2020 with $750 deducted from payroll throughout the program.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Faith in all functions.
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
Please contact our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email [email protected]
HOW TO APPLY:
Program Dates: August 10, 2020 - May 4, 2021
Visit the TREK website to learn more and apply - https://jobs.ymcarockies.org/trek-program
Applications close June 30, 2020. The TREK Gap Program is only accepting 26 participants this year, so make sure to turn in your application ASAP!