Visiting Assistant Professor in Exercise Science
University of Puget Sound
Visiting Assistant Professor in Exercise Science
Job ID: 3988
Location: Exercise Science
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Appointment: One-year visiting position in Exercise Science for the 2018-19 academic year
Teach five or six units for the year, to include either Exercise Physiology (including lab sections) or Nutrition depending on candidate qualifications. Additional teaching duties may include Introduction to Research, and an elective in the candidate's area of specialty.
A doctoral degree (ABD considered) in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, or a related field and a commitment to liberal arts education. Experience teaching either exercise physiology or nutrition are required and experience teaching research methods in an Exercise Science curriculum is desirable.
Compensation and Benefits :
Rank: Visiting Assistant Professor
Salary is commensurate with education, experience, and teaching load.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices--services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
About Puget Sound: The University of Puget Sound is located in Tacoma, Washington, a vibrant, diverse mid-sized urban port city. Within, and near, Tacoma there is ready access to urban, rural, and natural areas as well as opportunities to participate in a wide variety of cultural activities.
Application Deadline: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Interested individuals are encouraged to submit application materials no later than April 30th, 2018 to ensure consideration.
• We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
• We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
• We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. To learn more please visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/
Applications submitted without these documents requested below will not be considered:
• Curriculum vitae
• Letter of Interest
• Diversity Statement (see details below)
• Three (3) letters of reference. You will be asked to specify the email addresses of reference providers at the time of application and the system will email these providers on the next business day.
Note: In the online application system, please submit curriculum vitae when prompted to submit resume. Additional documents can be attached within the application.
Candidate's Diversity Statement. As a department and university, we are strongly committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, and working environment for all. In the candidate's diversity statement, applicants should comment on their ability to contribute meaningfully to our on-going commitment to be informed and competent with regard to issues of diversity, equity, and individual differences. We encourage applicants to reference the University of Puget Sound's current Diversity Strategic Plan (DSP) at http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/diversity-strategic-plan/ prior to writing this statement. While not an exhaustive list, the following are some ways candidates can express their qualification:
• Your lived experiences and/or identities that speak to the department and university's commitment to inclusion and diversity;
• Demonstration of your awareness of inequities for underrepresented student populations in education, research experience, and other opportunities;
• Brief insights on why diversity is important at institutions like the University of Puget Sound;
• Infusion of diversity and diversity-related issues into your research, pedagogy, and/or service;
• Previous and/or current activities involving mentoring underrepresented student populations;
• Creative ideas or strategies you could enact as a member of the University of Puget Sound campus community to support the university's DSP;
• Brief insights on how cultural competency increases one's effectiveness as an educator and department/university colleague.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1189189
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.