Youth Recreation Coordinator/Equipment Specialist
Youth Recreation Coordinator/Equipment Specialist.
Full-time, 40 hours/week
The Youth Recreation Coordinator/Equipment Specialist is an integral part of the YES operations team facilitating all recreational components of YES programs. This includes equipment maintenance, site management, as well as leading a wide range of adventure activities (skiing/snowboarding, biking, rock climbing, kayaking) during the full year that teach life skills and environmental education. He or she will also curate the ski and snowboard rental shop experience by managing and training the volunteer workforce, outfitting youth and creating a welcoming, safe atmosphere. In addition, the Recreation Coordinator/Equipment Specialist will strengthen and cultivate relationships with partner organizations in the outdoor recreation industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead outdoor activities like biking, rock climbing, kayaking, skiing and snowboarding
- Lead large-group downhill ski and snowboard trips as needed.
- Site manage outdoor rock-climbing trips
- Oversee the orientation and safety training for all recreational activities
- Supervise volunteers, youth and agencies participating on YES trips
Ski and Snowboard Rental Shop Management
- Manage the rental shop Monday- Thursday afternoons and evenings November-April
- Oversee the ski and snowboard rental shop experience for youth and volunteers
- Train and certify volunteers in rental shop practices
- Create leadership opportunities for and supervise adult and teen volunteers working in the rental shop
- Ensure quality control and safety of all ski and snowboard rentals
- Coordinate, advertise and manage equipment sales
- Manage, maintain and ensure quality control and safety of the YES mountain bike fleet, rock climbing gear and ski/snowboard fleet
- Solicit and acquire necessary equipment, supplies and tools and will improve the rental fleet and shop operations.
- Establish an effective processing, and tracking of donated and purchased equipment
- Develop partnerships and sponsorships within ski and outdoor recreation industry that will help grow YES’s inventory of equipment
- Enhance developmental and educational components of all recreational programming
- Create and facilitate adventure and environmental based activities for youth ages 7-18
- Assist in the creation of and implementation of Outdoor Adventure Curriculum
- Supervise and support teens onsite and in the field
- Facilitate youth development workshops for adult volunteers
- Lead recreational components of Teen Leadership Corps programming
- Assist with the training of volunteers and summer staff
- Support the reporting of outcomes for recreational programing
- Collaborate with fellow staff members to carry out YES’s active calendar of events including: fundraising, recruitment and community events, as well as volunteer training and appreciation nights
Ideal candidate should have prior experience leading outdoor activities, managing diverse groups of all ages and youth development. Independence, initiative, and organizational skills are important. Other requirements include:
- Ability to ski or snowboard at an intermediate level or above with a basic knowledge of snow sports equipment
- Previous experience (either professional or personal) with ski/snowboard and bike mechanics a plus
- Previous experience or willing to learn and excel at all the adventure activities which include: cross country skiing, rock climbing, kayaking, hiking, biking, surfing
- Experience building and adapting lesson plans especially for sports based, adventure or environmental education a plus
- Ability to take direction, act independently, set priorities, balance and demands of multiple tasks
- A positive role model for young people.
- Age 21+, Eligible/qualified to drive a 12 passenger van with a clean driving record
- People person with excellent oral communication skills
- Flexible schedule that includes frequent evenings, weekends and overnights
- Comfortable using power/ hand tools and able to lift 50 lbs.
- Bachelor’s degree or certification(s) in outdoor recreation, education or related fields a plus.
Submit cover letter and resume to Laura Neubauer, Director of Programs and Operations at [email protected]. early applications are strongly encouraged. Open until filled.
Youth Enrichment Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages applications from persons with disabilities and members of underrepresented groups