Healthcare Assistants (Camp Nurse Assistants) are responsible for assisting the Healthcare Supervisor in overseeing the health and well-being standards for the camp population and facilities in our Girl Scout residential camp setting. The position also assists in the management of camper and staff health and safety through applying daily first-aid treatments, monitoring necessary medications, maintaining records, and logging injuries. Due to close contact and overnight supervision of a Girl Scout youth population in a residential setting, Healthcare Assistants must be female.
The Healthcare Assistant position is limited to one per week. Healthcare Assistants may assist with 1-4 weeks of Summer Camp, based on Summer Camp needs and individual availability.
- Review inventory of necessary medical supplies and equipment at the beginning and end of each camp week assigned.
- Monitor health care plans, maintain records, and resolve any emergencies as necessary.
- Assist in the completion of camper and staff health screening upon arrival, departure, and during the summer, including:
- Verification of health history and examination
- Verification of emergency authorization
- History of recent exposure to communicable disease
- Review of the CCSC policies for the collection, storage, and administration of medications
- General health assessment, including lice and ring worm check
- Maintain accurate and detailed medical records for campers and staff, including:
- Health forms, with special attention to immunization compliance
- Health Center Log of daily clinic visits
- Charts for Health Center In-patients
- Progress notes for campers and staff with complex health issues
- Daily reports of restricted activities for campers and staff
- Medication Administration Records
- Incident Report forms
- Research and contact health resources in the community as needed by campers and staff.
- Communicate between camper families and physicians as needed, when the healthcare supervisor is absent.
- Review emergency procedures with Camp Manager before the start of camp.
- Abide by GSHPA code of conduct, rules, and expectations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Current license as a Registered Nurse or LPN in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, or equivalent experience, required.
- Current First Aid CPR/AED certification.
- Demonstrated experience working with children and young adults.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Attend and complete pre-camp trainings.
- Ability to live and work in the outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards, in various lighting conditions.
- Ability to walk over uneven terrain.
- Ability to adapt well to changing circumstances, direction, and strategy.
- Ability to work with diverse populations in a group setting.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Must pass required background checks.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must present a current form of ID affirming female gender at time of hire.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.