We are looking for Junior Counselors for our summer 2022 camp season at Camp Small Valley in Halifax, PA.
If you have completed a Counselor-in-Training or similar leadership position, love the outdoors, working with girls to help them build courage, confidence, and character, and are open from late June through early August, we have the perfect opportunity for you!
Our residential Junior Counselors will live ON-SITE at Camp Small Valley during the camp season (room & board is included).
The Junior Counselor is responsible for the safety, health, and well-being of campers by safely guiding campers to and from activity periods as well as supporting and/or assisting General Counselors during activity sessions and camp activities. Due to close contact and overnight supervision of a Girl Scout youth population in this residential setting, the Junior Counselor must be female.
- Meet with the Resident Camp Units Supervisor and fellow Junior Counselors on a weekly basis.
- Transfer campers from one activity to the next activity in a timely and organized manner.
- Guide cabin or unit groups and individual campers in planning and/or participating successfully in all aspects of camp activities and meet established goals for camper development.
- Recognize and appropriately respond to opportunities for problem solving in a group, develop opportunities for positive interaction between campers and staff, and engage with campers throughout the day in a positive and professional manner.
- Monitor campers for signs of homesickness or other health concerns, and handle issues appropriately.
- Help to supervise all assigned aspects of the campers’ day, including but not limited to: morning flag pole, cabin clean-up, meal times, rest hour, evening activities, getting ready for bed, and any after hours duty as assigned.
- Act as a leader in an emergency situation, enforce camp safety regulations, and report any accidents or incidents according to the Emergency Communication Plan.
- Assist in teaching, leading, or developing any activities as assigned, in conjunction with Unit Leaders and Assistant Unit Leaders.
- Assist in the preparation as well as clean up of needed supplies and materials for daily activities.
- Abide by GSHPA code of conduct, rules, and expectations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Successfully complete Counselor-In-Training (CIT) or similar leadership program.
- Minimum age of 16 years old.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions and exercise good judgment.
- Attend and complete pre-camp trainings.
- Experience working with children preferred.
- Ability to live and work in the outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to walk over uneven terrain.
- Ability to adapt well to changing circumstances, direction, and strategy.
- Ability to work with diverse populations in a group setting.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to pass required background checks.
- Must present a current form of ID affirming female gender at time of hire.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.