The Outdoor Leadership Faculty (OLF) Position at TEENS, Inc is an exciting opportunity to collaborate
within various programs across the TEENS, Inc. organization; both out of school activities (outdoor leadership and recreation) and working with our alternative high school Chinook West. The OLF will work directly with youth in a supervisory role focused on building strong relationships and upholding high expectations. This is a direct service position, meaning that the applicant should expect to be working directly with youth on average 30 hours per week.
Job Duties include the following:
● Support students in Chinook West through advising, teaching elective classes (3 to 6 classes per year), helping prepare lunches, communicating with parents and students, and helping with field trips.
● Plan for and supervise outdoor activities and field trips for Chinook West High School students.
○ 3-5 night outdoor trip in Fall
○ 5 day winter sports program
○ 5-7 night outdoor trip in Spring
○ Teach classes at Chinook West related to outdoor education or leadership
● Plan and carry out afterschool climbing programs in the Spring and Fall.
● Develop and implement extended learning adventures ranging from 4 – 6 days long (2 – 3 times per
summer) for outdoor leadership program (June-July).
● Plan and carry out outdoor experiences and day trips for teen center and youth employment participants.
● Keep gear and gear shed cleaned, maintained and organized.
● Outdoor leadership program marketing, outreach and evaluation.
o Full time
o Great benefits including health, disability, and life insurance, 3 weeks PTO , holidays, and 401K with up to 3% match.
o Position is based in Nederland, Colorado
o This is a direct service position
o At least 1 year previous leadership experience with youth
o Ability to work collaboratively with co-leaders/workers
o Exceptional organizational, leadership and communication skills.
o Willingness to submit a driving record and ability to drive a 15-passenger van.
o High level of group management and facilitation skills
o Risk management and decision making proficiency
o Flexibility and adaptability
o Effective and inclusive leadership skills
o High capacity for communication and providing and accepting feedback
o Must be aligned with our Core Values: Youth Voices, Believing in Possibilities, Relationships, Honesty and Integrity.
o Ability to use challenges and experiences to foster learning among youth groups.
o Experience and excitement for working with youth in various settings and capacities.
o A strong sense of humor and desire to grow both personally and professionally
o Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness First Aid Certification
o Experience working outdoors in various weather conditions.
o Experience camping in a group setting and / or backpacking experience.
o SPI certification or willingness/climbing ability to get one.
o Interest and ability to be out on overnight trips 15-25 nights a year.
● Training and experience working with youth who come from a background of trauma, basic understanding
of trauma informed care.
● Basic knowledge of Positive Youth Development practices.