2021 Update Regarding Covid19 - Covid19 remains an ongoing public health crisis across the United States. Christodora is committed to running as safe and healthy a program as possible given the precautions and protocols that must be enacted at MEC to slow the spread of this respiratory disease that can lead to illness and death. To that end, MEC still seeks interested candidates to join its community in 2021 as we await - like all overnight camps in Massachusetts - final guidance from MA DPH regarding a possible return to overnight camp operations in Summer 2021. At this time, MEC will not be running Spring and Fall field trips for NYC public schools in 2021.
Join our Diverse Team: May 3 – Sept 4, 2021
Engaging as a key member of the administrative team, the Assistant Director (AD) brings a high level of positive energy while providing effective leadership to daily operations at MEC. Responsibilities include assisting the MEC Director with staff training as well as empowering and supporting 12-15 outdoor educators, assistants, and interns to deliver effective, hands-on activities in environmental education, outdoor leadership, and nature exploration. The AD creates and organizes various program schedules, helps to write and implement educational activities, and plans for MEC-wide activities and events. The AD supports safe, healthy, and fun programming through daily, on-site supervision and on-call responsibilities, including supervising waterfront activities (at MEC’s one-acre, spring-fed pond) and managing the infirmary as needed. Other duties include evaluating staff and facility needs, leading and assisting day-to-day care of gardens, preparing supply requisitions, and transporting program participants/staff in MEC vehicles.
- At least three years of prior program administration and/or leadership experience in environmental education, outdoor leadership, and/or nature exploration for youth. Leadership experience in residential programs preferred
- Highly organized with demonstrated success in coordinating schedules and activities
- High energy and outstanding prior performance as a leader with positive and effective communication skills
- Passionate about positively impacting youth and can easily build rapport with a broad and diverse population from marginalized neighborhoods in New York City
- Able to spark an interest in the natural sciences and possess at least three years of experience teaching environmental education or outdoor leadership lessons/activities in informal or formal settings to middle- or high-school youth
- Have prior experience facilitating low-element challenge course activities; leading backpacking and/or canoeing trips; and able to provide training and, as necessary, field support to groups in the field
- Experienced in making effective leadership decisions during emergency procedures and can serve as Acting Director as needed
- Interested in learning more about joining Christodora for multiple seasons
- Excellent examples of motivational, organizational, and communication skills
- BA/BS in a related discipline.
- Valid Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding Certification (or ability to attain before the start of the summer)
- At least two years of supervisory-level experience in a residential camp or youth program (or the ability to attain American Camping Association Camp Director Certificate prior to start)
- Valid Wilderness First Responder (WFR) and CPR/AED Certifications
- MA state regulations require candidates to be at least 25 year old
- Current driver’s license with clean driving record
- Comfortable driving 15-passenger vans and towing both a canoe and small-equipment trailers
- Background clearances and medical physical with requisite immunizations
MEC is a residential program and requires the AD to live in private, on-site housing during the active season. The AD generally performs their duties during afternoons and evenings, and they are part of the administrative support team as well as the seasonal, on-call emergency response system. Candidates who commit to Christodora beyond the summer season could remain in employer-provided housing (in NYC) through the following school year. To that end, Christodora may have year-round employment for candidates who would enjoy living in NYC during the school year, facilitating the success of environmental education in NYC public schools. If interested in continuing with Christodora during the school year, between seasons at MEC, please describe your qualifications for leading programs and/or supervising environmental educators inside NYC public schools during the school year.
- Competitive weekly salary DOE
- Room and board at MEC during employment
- Outdoor equipment discounts
- Use of company vehicle, MacBook Air, and iPhone for work
- Financial support for necessary professional development
This position remains open until filled. Please send a resume and detailed cover letter in the body of an email to [email protected] with only “MEC Assistant Director” as the subject of the message. Three professional references may be requested following an initial interview.
Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment, and applicants are encouraged to include how they will further this goal in their application materials. Please do not call. You may also mail a resume and cover letter to: Brett Billings, Manice Education Center, 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, and/or any other characteristic protected by law.