1. Job Summary:
The Assistant Trail Counselor is responsible for assisting the Trail Counselor/Guide in group facilitation and wilderness camping for groups of teenagers, families, or adults.
2. Essential Functions:
· Assist in providing professional leadership and instruction to all campers
· Assist in providing instruction in wilderness camping, canoeing, and backpacking, during overnight trips
· Participate in camp programs, such as campfires, group singing, and games
· Guide and influence the trail group’s social interaction and personal growth
· Observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, and apply the necessary behavior-management techniques
· Promote the core values – Caring, Equity, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
· Enforce safety and health regulations and emergency procedures
· Assist in completing paperwork including camper evaluations, parent letters and trip reports etc. in timely, high-quality manner
This position reports to both the Program Director and Executive Director. Assistant Trail Counselors need to work well with the trips director, cooks, the trail department, and other trail counselors.
· Upon Hire, First Aid and BLS certification provided by YMCA or other certified organization
· Minimum age of 16 years
· Experience or education in wilderness programs, camp, youth programs, or related field
· Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks in a timely manner.
· Strong organizational and communication skills
· Training or skills in wilderness camping, canoeing, backpacking, and/or trip planning
· First Aid and CPR certification
5. Work Conditions:
· Ability to communicate and work with groups of campers, adults and families
· Visual, auditory, and decision-making ability to calmly and effectively identify and respond to environmental, human and other hazards related to remote travel.
· Ability to lift and carry canoe and backpack weighing up to 100 lbs in rough and hilly terrain for extended periods of time.
· Ability to live and work outside in a wide variety of conditions including extreme weather.
6. Additional Notes:
At all times the Assistant Trail Counselor must keep the safety and enriching experience of the campers in the forefront of their thoughts and actions.
This job description represents the major functions of the position but is not intended to be all-inclusive. The incumbent is also responsible for taking direction from the Executive Director and Program Director or their representatives in completing projects or performing duties deemed necessary for the Branch or Association success.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Pledge
The Y of the North is committed to the work and everyday practices of eliminating disparities and eradicating of unjust systems to become a multicultural, anti-racist and anti-oppressive organization. YMCA of the North team members and volunteers must exemplify the association’s mission, vision and values of caring, equity, honesty, respect and responsibility.
The YMCA of the North continues to develop plans and strategies to ensure team members and volunteers reflect the demographics of the communities we serve. We will continually conduct institutional racism and oppression review of our policies, procedures and practices in recruitment and selection; compensation and benefits; professional development and training; promotions; transfers; layoffs; terminations; and the ongoing development of a multicultural, anti-racist and anti-oppressive work environment and culture that promotes equity and respect for the human dignity of all. We value and respect this diversity and choose to be inclusive through our acceptance of all.