Backpacking Program Instructor
Spend a summer in the beautiful Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia. Make a positive difference in the lives of campers from around the globe by leading, guiding, and instructing our outdoor living skills classes and backpacking trips.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Instructing Outdoor Living Skills (fire building, shelter building, orienteering, Leave No Trace) workshops for campers 9 -16 on a daily basis.
- Safely supervising and guiding overnight backpacking trips for groups of campers.
- Organizing and maintaining gear and food preparation for backpacking trips and outdoor living classes.
- This position also functions as a traditional cabin counselor and includes all the responsibilities involved in that role. See also: Job Posting for Cabin Counselor, Camp Hidden Meadows.
Qualifications: We are looking for staff with a positive attitude, a spirit of adventure and a desire to impact each camper in a positive way. Sincerity, enthusiasm, sound judgment, constructive communication and a good sense of humor are all qualities that we value in staff. Additional qualifications for this position include:
- Well developed leadership and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Able to carry a loaded pack (up to 60 lbs) on moderate to steep terrain for distances of 5 - 7 miles.
- Able to pitch tents, build fires, use cookstoves, and plan and prep backcountry meals in a variety of weather conditions.
- Experience leading camping trips for adults or youth.
- Desire to work with and instruct youth aged 6-16, as well as to serve as a positive role model for youth.
- Basic first aid or Wilderness First Aid certification required.
- Age 21+ and valid US driver's license preferred.
- Interest in working hard, learning new skills, and taking on new challenges.
Salary/Benefits: Competitive salary, room, board, internet access and time off in wild and wonderful West Virginia. Living and working with a group of young people is both a challenging and rewarding experience. Both the campers and the staff who participate have endless opportunities to develop new skills, learn about themselves, and meet new people with a wide variety of talents. All this adds up to an incredible summer experience!
Summer: June 1 - August 15, 2021