Who We Are
At Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming, we believe in building girls of Courage, Confidence, and Character. While working at Summer Camp you get the unique opportunity to teach these characteristics through hands-on activities. Girl Scouts are encouraged to discover whom they are while gaining independence and confidence in a supportive environment created by the camp staff. Summer camp is an empowering environment for Camp Staff as you build a community that teaches girls the importance of courage, confidence, and character
The Camp Counselor provides a unique blend of instruction, mentoring, and leadership to campers as their primary caregiver for the week.
The Camp Counselor has the primary responsibilities for delivering camp programs that meet the needs and interests of girls, ensuring that girls are involved in the planning of their activities, regulating that those activities are outdoors and hands-on as often as possible, and confirming that each girl is given an opportunity to be actively involved in her own camping experience and that the experience meets the Girl Scout Leadership Experience (GSLE).
The Camp Counselor ensures that staff and campers have a safe, fun, and positive summer camp experience that supports membership growth and retention. This position promotes Girl Scouting in the community; and maintains a positive parent, public, and community relations.
Girl Scouts of Montana and Wyoming hires for summer camp positions that rotate to each of these camps:
· Timbercrest Camp near Red Lodge, Montana
· Camp Castle Rock near Butte, Montana
· Camp Sacajawea near Casper, Wyoming
Contract dates are June 1st through August 15th, to include 8 weeks of programs and 2 weeks of training. As a Girl Scout staff member, take part in leadership training, professional development, and experience cooperating across multi- generations. Explore the great outdoors with a group of like-minded coworkers. Share your passion and unique talents with tomorrow’s outdoor enthusiasts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Direct, supervise, and organize campers in their living unit, within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes
● Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff
● Deliver a fun program that supports campers’ growth
● Responsible for leading and assisting with the teaching a variety of activities
● Be a role model to campers and staff using the Girl Scout Law and Promise as a base line
● Help in dining hall cleanup, dishes, outdoor cookouts, and oversight of camper nutrition
● Other duties as assigned
● High School diploma or the equivalent; three months to one year experience working with youth, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
● Must have two years of licensed driving experience in order to transport girls
● Minimum of 18 years of age preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The environmental conditions result in access or very little access to cellular phone service, data, text, or internet.
Benefits of Working at Camp
Camp Staff will be exposed to the following areas and learn skills that can be applied to their future careers.
· Oral Communication Skills
· Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving Skills
· Interpersonal and Leadership Skills
· Collaborative Skills
But wait, there s’more!
· Room and board
· Professional development facilitated prior to program start
· Opportunity for growth within the organization summer to summer
· Competitive camp salaries
· Fun, meaningful work outdoors and the opportunity to visit Yellowstone National Park
If you have an interest in the above Camp Counselor position, please submit the GSMW Online Residential Camp Application online, accessible via the careers link at https://www.gsmw.org/en/our-council/careers/seasonal-employment.html
Direct inquiries for more information to Liz Evans, Resident Camp Director at (406) 252-0488.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $300.00 – $400.00 per week