Camp du Nord Counselor
Do you love camping and being outside? Are you looking for a fun interactive summer work environment working with youth and families? The YMCA is looking to hire fun, energetic, leaders that love working with children and families as a Camp Counselor in a summer seasonal "full time" role.
Do you like to play games, lead activities or are you creative? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of others? The camp counselor is a great mission to get behind and is a FUN environment.
As a Camp Counselor you must enjoy a fun and interactive work environment, live entertainment (camp songs, etc.), and a lot of kid questions! At the YMCA Camp Counselors have a passion for having a positive impact on children and families each summer.
As a Camp Counselor you can get paid to play with the kids all summer. You will help to develop and explore creative and imaginative curriculum, activities and games. You will have fun teaching kids a love of reading, leading art activities, leading a gym activity, teaching being a good sport and social skills. Become a role model and engage with children, helping them discover the fun in playing, learning and making new lifelong friends over the summer.
Our goal at the YMCA summer Camp program is to provide kids with a safe, fun space at the Y to thrive! As a Camp Counselor you will interact with camper and parents from a diverse background.
1. Job Summary:
The Camp Counselor is responsible for planning, leading, and implementing core and non-core programs and experiences for children in a small group setting. They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in his/her group. The incumbent will provide high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for participants that focus on the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
2. Essential Responsibilities:
- Help write and implement a weekly schedule for your camp group.
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, opening and closing ceremonies, swimming, archery, canoeing, Family Night, etc. This includes time spent on the bus.
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to Camp Leadership.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Help guide Junior Counselors and Camp Volunteers to have a deeper understanding of leadership and counseling skills.
- If applicable, maintain constant surveillance of the pool area/body of water, know/review all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately. Attend monthly in-service trainings.
- See camp specific addendum for program details.
This position reports to the Camp Program Director who reports to Branch/Camp Sr. Program Director/Executive and receives work direction from the Camp Program Coordinator. The incumbent interacts regularly with camp staff, campers, and parents. This position involves interaction with camp staff, campers, and parents from a diverse background.
- Upon hire, completion of YMCA provided First Aid and BLS certification.
- Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- If applicable, current nationally accredited lifeguard certification (applicable for body of water being guarded).
- If applicable, Oxygen Administration certification (may not guard until certification is complete).
- Ability to pass a drivers road test for YMCA vehicles and trailers.
- Upon hire, completion of YMCA provided Motor Vehicle and or Department of Transportation Insurance Training.
5. Work Conditions:
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, canoeing, swimming, team building initiatives, building campfires, physical games, and activities.
- Must be capable of carrying loads of up to 90 pounds and able to traverse hilly and uneven terrain without undue exertion.
- Work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
- Perform essential program support to camp activities and programs which may include, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead, crouching, kneeling, shoveling, working in narrow and/or confining spaces underground, overhead, and at ground level, twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs, and lying on stomach and/or back.
- Must have the ability to physically manage and support children when needed for safety in general camp activities (child weighing 50 - 200 pounds).
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks outdoor in different climate.
- If applicable, ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- If applicable, physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- If applicable, hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- If applicable, remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- If applicable, see and observe all sections of an assigned zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
6. Additional Notes:
This job description represents the major functions of the position but is not intended to be all-inclusive. The incumbent is also responsible for taking direction from the Camp Program Coordinator and Camp Program Director or their representatives in completing projects or performing duties deemed necessary for the Branch or Association success.